Hydraulic Lifters ????????

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Honaw
Bikes: 1957 Panhead
2006 Honda VTX Trike

Hydraulic Lifters ????????

Post by Honaw »

Should i go with hydraulic lifters?? Remember i'm not much of a wrench so i'm asking you pros..Whats the pros and cons of hydraulics?? Remember my motor is a heinze 57 model...63 or newer heads, new parts such as pistons-4 3/4 S&S stroker kit- valves-Valve guides-Andrews J Grind Cam-New gears-Delkron Cases-and new S&S super G Carb..Still only about 50 miles on rebuild..Thanks for your time.....Honaw
FelthamW
Bikes: 1946 FL
1955 FLH
2005 FLHTC
1990 bastid wild child

Re: Hydraulic Lifters ????????

Post by FelthamW »

25 years ago running a big bore Sidewinder kit pan top end and 4 1/2" wheels with solids and a Leinweber L7 cam, I thought that my bike couldn't be beat. It was fast. Nary a shovel could touch it unless it was 98" and had Branch heads. It was awesome sounding when it started up cold (if you have never heard a Jim Leinweiber cam in a stroker - then you have most definitely missed a treat). I do admit it didn't start easy. But all good things come to an end. Ten years ago or more, I lifted the whole front jug off the case. Not a lifter issue - a beatin' issue.
So I went Delkron, 4 3/4" wheels, G model, Crane 316t adjustable timing cam, Dave Mackie shovel heads, dual plug single fire ignition, Crane roller rockers - but stayed with solid lifters. It started "OK", not great. At times it would act up and the kicking marathon was on.
Couple of years ago, I had a cam roller shaft bearing go south and it trashed the lifter block, cam, pump, breather can bore, etc. Decided to put a set of Jims hydraulic lifters in it.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I did revert back to S+S 495 lift cam and just fixed everything else back to the way it was when I added the hydraulics - but WOW. It amazes me that it starts first kick, every kick, bad stale gas, you name it.
It made a beleiver out of me. What the old school hot rod guys tried to instill in me has flown out the window. I am a convert.
Go with the hydraulics. They certainly work for me.

BTW, I still have that L7 and would gladly let someone have it -IF they promise to use it. It's for a pre 54 bottom end. It is GREAT for giggles. PM me.

Wayne
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Hydraulic Lifters ????????

Post by Panacea »

Wayne, I'd give that leinie a try!..Mike

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”