colony pushrods survey

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
mbskeam
Bikes: *

colony pushrods survey

Post by mbskeam »

how many of you have had problems with them?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: colony pushrods survey

Post by Cotten »

Are they still too fat and rub the covers?

.....Cotten
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Last time I had mine out to replace the seals on my 51, I found the rods were .437 OD, the colony rods I had bought to replace them with were .500 OD. I also noted three different lenghts on the old rods instead of just two on the colonys, which is the reason I stuck with the old rods, the colonys rear intake was too long by 1/8"...MBskeam, I'd sighn up fo a new steel set but I don't think my ends would fit your tubing, Mike
craig60pan
Bikes: 1960 FL
1951 FL
2005 custom built softail
2018 street glide special

Post by craig60pan »

The long rod is OK but the three short ones were 1/8 in too long
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

craig60pan wrote:The long rod is OK but the three short ones were 1/8 in too long
That's what I found as well, and this with some fairly tired heads with the valves slightly sunk in. If I had a spare set of pushrods (besides the oil cans, which I have two sets of) I'd send 'em to Mike in a heartbeat. Trying to "guesstimate" the adjustment tension on these is a pain, basically I set 'em as tight as I can and still roll 'em with two dry fingers. Otherwise they rattle like a can of bolts as soon as it warms up. I'm hoping that steel 'rods will be more set and forget...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I know this is a old post!--But my exp. with Colony pushrods is def. not good!---The Adj. end & rockerarm end get hammered into the rod!--The Flex on them is way too much!--& they fragment real easy!--So in my opinion -(they SUCK). I use 3/8-steel pushrods, Many that Ive made using the ends from the Colonys!-(the ends are the olny good part!,& Hardened!). You can get lucky & they thread into some steel shovel rods!, But you have to watch the lengths!. I havent used a ALUM. pushrod in 16yrs. And when I build street motors I talk the customers out of them!--I just have to show them a shoebox half-full of tops & ADJ. from Colony rods!. Now A motor that is going to be torn down every 3-4 runs is another thing!--You save ALOT of weight using ALUM. pushrods! & that is the intention to replace them after every 9-sec. run!--Thats how I got alot of the shoebox parts!---Alum. rods = alot of flex, can frag & bust a hole in the cover! & Thats if your LUCKY!--Alot worse can happen!--So for a reliable everyday ridden Panhead ,I strongly suggest using steel p-rods!. I am still on a set I made 10yrs. back!--& I PUT ON MILES!!!!. The bike is ridden everyday! for 23+yrs. now!---I average 11 to 14,000 miles a year!-10,000 with alot of rain or hard icy winters!.--Good-Luck & ride safe!---Richie :wink:

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”