Pushrod cover leak

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Pushrod cover leak

Post by doc308 »

Well, I just got my '48 pan started and I noticed wicked leaks coming from the front tappet block where the lower pushrod covers press against the cork seals in the tappet block. I'm using new aftermarket tappet blocks ( later -style), new Colony lower pushrod covers, and brand new cork seals. In addition the covers fit very tightly. It seems to me that I saw a thread on this before , with some recommendations, but I can't find it. I also have some new rubber pushrod cover seals. Do these work any better than the cork ones? Given how tightly and nicely everything seems to fit, I can't believe how badly they leak--the oil practically pours out.
I was once told that it's a good idea to drill out the oil passages in later-style blocks, when using them with solid lifters to prevent oil "backup". Could this be the problem--ie the oil not returning to the case fast enough, causing an oil backup?
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Re: Pushrod cover leak

Post by StueyC »

Hi Doc308, there is some info' I read recently in the knowledge base under motor bottom end. It is titled "oil leak at tappet block". This may help.

StueyC
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Pushrod cover leak

Post by Hauula Pan »

Go back to your Sept 30th post and also in the knowledge base there are a couple posts that address this issue.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”