'48 leakage

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

'48 leakage

Post by doc308 »

I think that I detect some oil leakage coming from that weird little hole at the base of the front cylinder on my '48 pan. What is a good way to plug this --would something like JB Weld do the trick? I'm aware that that there is supposed to be a plug in that hole, but seepage is coming through. The engine is all togther and mounted in the frame at this point
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: '48 leakage

Post by john HD »

photos may help.

on the crankcase? or on the barrel?

john
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

It's a small , angled hole in the crankcase , just behind the front tappet block. I had read that the factory put a plug in it at assembly. As I mentioned, I think a little oil is seeping out. While the hole is visible with the tappet block installed, I doubt i'd be able to do anything w/o removing it.

My camera is out of order--so pics will have to wait.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I believe you are talking about the welch plug ,where they drilled for the oil passage to the heads.They pop out pretty easy ( thread a screw into it and wiggle it free )and I think you can still get them some where . Now installing it while in the frame , not sure ,I would have to look at mine. You could clean it up real good ,acitone would be a good degreaser & try some RTV sealent , they make it in gray , to hide it . There may be better products around , others here will speak up . I have some photo's some where when I removed the one from my 65 to try to clear an obstruction in there .

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”