Valve springs

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Valve springs

Post by StueyC »

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so hopefully I've posted this message right. I'm rebuilding a 1960 FL motor. The heads are stripped but the valve springs are measuring way longer than the spec' shown in the manual. I can only assume they are after market springs. All springs are measuring pretty close in length and may be good to use again i.e. outer is 2.135" and inner is 1.825". Is there any way of knowing these lengths are OK or should I play it safe and buy a new set? Second question- the valve seals I removed were a white seal material with a spring wound around the outer that I gather is to help retain them to the guide and the guides themselves have two drill spots on each where the seals fitted. Should I be looking for this type seal to replace or will a standard push on seal be OK?

Stuey
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Valve springs

Post by steinauge »

What you describe sounds like an S&S spring and a crane cams seal.You can contact S&S for specs for their springs or just buy a new set of stock springs(The numbers you quote are real close to a set of S&S springs I have here).The crane seals if thats what they are required machining the top of the guide to accept the seal,nothing else fits.They are easy to get and IME work fine.
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Re: Valve springs

Post by StueyC »

Thanks steinauge. I have emailed S & S and requested the spec's for the springs and will order some seals from Vtwin.

Stuey.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”