1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Tin Rocker Cover Interference

Post by partshunt »

I searched for the topic on valve collar to rocker cover interference and noise on mid fifty panhead with stainless covers. Found nothing so am asking instead. I see some R/Covers have been bashed out in the area of the valve collars. Is that the only fix? They sure run close, not much room for error here. The only thing I can assume to fix it is to also bash out the area close to the valve collars. Does anyone know of a better fix? Also, is Gorrila Snot the best to use on glueing new felts in these Stainless covers?...Thanks in advance...Joe
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: Tin Rocker Cover Interference

Post by 59Panman »

partshunt,

Here is what I found on the felt adhesive. 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Part # 051135-08001, available at NAPA auto parts. 5 oz. tube.

Author panhead Date Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 pm Views 1532
Description Richard, a mechanic from San Diego H-D told me about "Gorilla Snot"
Category General Type Forum Discussion
Pan cover felt glue
Post by KperryHDfix@aol.com on Feb 21, 2002, 6:00pm

Richard, a mechanic from San Diego H-D told me about "Gorilla Snot". It's 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Part # 051135-08001, available at NAPA auto parts. 5 oz. tube. Wipe the tube threads and cap out when replaced for longer shelf life. Yellow, fast drying. Put a thin coat on both surfaces (pencil-trace a felt-gasket pattern on the inside of the Pan cover, so you'll see where to paint glue); let dry; put another thin coat on both surfaces and bond immediately. Acetone cuts overspills.

It's the details that count!

Re: Pan Cover Felt Glue
Post by zup@netins.net on Mar 10, 2002, 1:20pm

Yellow Death (aka gorilla snot aka 3M weather strip adhesive) is about the handiest thing to keep around the shop. It holds(and seals) gaskets in place, it does a great job of sealing all potentially leaky mating surfaces. Some people complain that it's a bitch to get things back apart that are glued together with it. But I normally don't intend to be pulling it apart any time soon anyway... so would rather have the superior seal while it's together, in trade for the ease of disassemby (which I hope won't be for quite a few miles)
Granted, it's not something you'd want to use everywhere, but it works in a lot more places than one might think.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

when the valve are sunk into the heads from valve jobs, this happens...
alum are much easier to peen out, stainless is a bitch.
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Post by hjans »

Anyone can point out or post pic of where exactly the felts have to be glued ??

When you bash the covers back into shape, the steel probably will be overstretched, so you probably will not get them flat again.

Hans
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

I dont have any measurements to position the felts, I will have to do up a layout of where the felts actually glue on. As for bashing, or peening out the covers, the gasket flanges will have to be bolted to a "D" ring or such to keep them from any deflection. After the job is done, flateness will need to be checked and corrected in neccessary. I have some Rocker Covers here that have been peened out and they are ok. I would use them but they have other problems....Joe

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”