Aluminum weld-in nipple conversion

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
jarhead
Bikes: -

Aluminum weld-in nipple conversion

Post by jarhead »

Where can I find a weld-in nipple o-ring conversion ? My 48 front head is leaking on the outside of the steel conversion. My rear head is a 55 so no conversion is needed. Also any cons on doing this? I imagine it must be welded perfect and at the right height. Originality is of course no concern.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Aluminum weld-in nipple conversion

Post by Panacea »

Fourthgear had some problems with air leaks after having the weld in nipples installed and had to have the shop that did them re-do it, If you go that route make sure the folks are able to pressure test the heads to make sure they won't leak...Mike
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

welding is not a problem, if done right

mbskeam
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Welding is not a problem if you get the spacing right, and you don't mind depreciating your investment: You will probably spend nearly a C note to make it worth a couple of C notes less.

....Cotten
VT

Post by VT »

Send the heads to Accurate Engineering or Headhog if they offer the service. Nothing beats doing it right the first time.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

VT wrote:Send the heads to Accurate Engineering or Headhog if they offer the service. Nothing beats doing it right the first time.
I'm sure both those services would be the way to go. Sadly, money is always a issue. The head is not off at the moment, but will be off shortly. If the steel insert comes out with no problem, I will investigate the "Fluid -weld " Cotton speaks of in a earlier thread.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I had some problems with the first welder who tried to weld them from the inside only ( I've got nice ported heads out of it ), the second welder (the first one took them to the second welder ) did a fine job welding them on the out side(no leaks to this day ).

The first welder said he had done hundreds of them that way , well when I showed him how to pressure test them and of course showed him how mine leaked, he kinda woundered how all his other hundreds sealed .

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”