FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

1964 hydraulic Lifter problem?

Post by panhead_kicker »

While re-installing the rear head and turning over the motor to set the tappet positions, I noticed that the rear exhaust hydraulic unit was springy in the tappet; I could push it down into the tappet, and it would spring back up into place. All three other units however had no give to them at all when I push down on them. I've not pulled any to inspect yet. How should these feel?
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Re: '64 hydraulic Lifter problem?

Post by captainharley »

Dude, It has been so long since I messed with hyd. lifters. That about all
I can remember is a way of checking to see if they are supposedly still
good. I think what you do is make a fist with your hand, place the hyd.
unit in it and push down with your thumb the spring loaded cup until it collapses completely. Count to ten and if the cup springs back up the hyd. unit is good!?!? :? Are the lifters them self clear with no clogs
in their oil passages? Maybe the other lifters have pumped up their
hyd. units while you turned the flywheels over? Sure wish I could help ya', but I'm sure somebody with a whole lot more knowledge then me will
come on soon enough and give some good answers. :D

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Thanks Cappy - I landed some block gaskets on Sunday morning, so I took the lifters out to examine. I don't think I've ever looked at them in detail before. But I think I understand how they should work now, and it appears that the issue I was concerned about (1 felt different than the others) was not an issue. The 1 lifter had apparently bled its oil out of its reservoir, letting the piston portion float on its spring while the other three were still full of oil and non-compressible. Motor has not run since Sept. All four units measure up and look pretty good per the service manual, except for roller end clearance. Two of them at ~.012 with a feeler (.008-.010). Not sure I want to replace these yet. So I did some searches in this forum and read up, and eventually everything made sense.
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Post by captainharley »

pan-kicker,

Be careful with your lifter rollers! If you even suspect they are to worn replace them.
In the past I have had two go bad and it won't pretty! :cry: When I rode a lot I would replace the rollers every two years no matter how many miles on them. :D

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”