Adjusting hydraulic lifters units on the Panhead

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Adjusting hydraulic lifters units on the Panhead

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Just a word of Caution to the new fellas that need to re adjust the Hydraulic Lifters units that are located on the Roller Units in the secondary Cam case...i don't think that i have ever seen in a shop Manuel about allowing the lifter units to "Bleed down" after you adjust them and you are able to spin that push rod freely "before you turn the engine" Over To Adjust another unit.......long long ago....i did not know that and i bent a few push rods really bad and then i asked a mechanic about what had happened and he explained to me the correct procedure after one is adjusted...Harley units were 4 turns and the JIMS Hydraulic units are 3 turns read the pamplet that came with your Hydraulics....i mark my adjusters with a felt tip marker so i can properly keep track of the turns that i have made.

0. And also If any one wants to add something here that i left out.....please do it.
1. The engine must be Cold before adjusting "lifters" ! screw the adjuster ^UP^ to take ^UP any shake or play then count the turns and lock the nut.....once adjusted they should be set till the heads have to come off again , the pans head and cylinders will expand ^UP^ 30 thousands hot! and the hydraulics will compensate for the added length to the heads and cylinders by drawing in more oil to the lifter units and maintain the right amount of lift to the push rods , also its not recommended to run aluminum push rods....steel is best ..less expansion hot !
2. The procedure is......Front Intake push rod^ UP.......adjust the Rear Intake push rod......front Exhaust push rod^ UP.....adjust the Rear Exhaust push rod so on and So On.
3. But before going to the next unit......allow that adjusted unit to Bleed down and the push rod should ~~Spin~~freely !
4. Also the lifter oil filter screen should be removed and washed off and re installed too...say ever 4 th or 5th oil change.

Mooootor Cycle Mike*
"When a pan head motor gets quiet.....shes getn ready to BLOW" !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Adjusting Hydralic Lifters Units on the Pan Head*

Post by Cotten »

Mooootor Cycle Mike!

The Service Manual instructs to wash out and dry each unit before it is installed, eliminating the risks of waiting to "bleed down".

A spray can of carb or brake cleaner with the common thin red tube attached to the nozzle makes this a breeze, as it can be inserted into the lifter's ball check to allow captured oil to be purged from the empty cup. And the solvent will dry quite quickly.

You will also find it a whole lot easier to wrench upon the adjustor!

....Cotten
PS: If the Clymer books fail to mention this, it is just one more reason that Uncle Floyd is rolling over in his grave, laughing.
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Re: Adjusting Hydralic Lifters Units on the Pan Head*

Post by hjans »

be sure after cleaning/drying you can hear the checkball inside the unit moving free !!
And check leaking by compressing the unit, watching it returning into the original position yet after 10 ( ??????) seconds
( forgot the exact amount of time, sorry)

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”