Lifter question

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Lifter question

Post by lockdoc »

Hello all! Just so you know what I'm asking about I have a 65 pan that has had the cases replaced at some point with early shovel cases riding with the 65 four speed kick start nestled in a 70 FLH frame with a 70 something FX front end. Quite a contraption huh? I installed a Mallory distributor and a 92 CV carb. Other than that, it is stock. Can I post in the stock Panhead area? LOL. I recently acquired this ride so other than the Mallory and CV I don't know anything more about the history of this bike.

Question: I am replacing the tappet guides cuz one appears to have a crack. While cleaning up the tappets and rods I noticed three of the adjustable rods look stock but one is slightly different. It is like the others but is slightly shorter overall and the steel ball at the top is larger than the rest and the top is flat. Not mashed but machined this way. Was this installed to correct something or just happened to be laying around? Unfortunately I didn't note which valve it went to as I had ordered new rods and solid lifter conversion. I think it was on the intake side of the rear cylinder if it makes a difference.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Lifter question

Post by Cotten »

Locdoc!

It sounds like you have one real pan pushrod, and three chubblehead pushrods.

....Cotten

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”