Pushrod cork interference

Tappet/cork

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
thebeast
Bikes: 1949 FL
2002 FLSTC

Pushrod cork interference

Post by thebeast »

I’ve had this problem since installing a J cam. Rear intake tappet is hitting the cork at full lift, requiring some trimming. 49 fl 74” ,OEM tappet blocks,unknown tappets,solid pushrods.
Would a O ring work in place of the cork?
Thanks,James
VPH-D

Re: Pushrod cork interference

Post by VPH-D »

Try one of the blue aftermarket types.
VPH-D
thebeast
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

VPH-D
I may try those, looking for something with a larger ID. I dont like having to radius the cork for that one lifter.
And just to let everyone know, my user name, thebeast, is not me. It’s my 5yr old granddaughter’s nickname. She would make a great linebacker one day.
Thanks, James
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Perhaps the "Unknown tappets" are a bit tall? Removing the tappet and holding in a smooth collet and facing off a small amount in a lathe would not effect anything else I think. Was the lifter case surface remachined at some point? Or the lifter block welded and remachined? What was the cam that was replaced? Perhaps it was a set of cam and lifters and the cam had a smaller base circle and slightly taller lifters to compensate. How much interference are we talking? Perhaps 2 lifter base gaskets? Or removing a small amount of lifter as I said.

Just my 2 cents
Andygears
thebeast
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

Andygears, the stock fl cam was loosing its hard face so I put in the J cam. I did have the case repaired, had a crack in the oil feed galley for the rear cylinder and the mating surface for the rear tappet block may have been machined flat after the repair. The cork ID is a little too small,causing the tappet to hit the cork which then hits the lower pushrod tube.
How do you identify OEM tappets?
Thanks,James
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

I'm not sure how OEM tappets are identified. If they are like my solids, they have the adjuster in the tappet and other than the slot and hole for the roller are a solid hunk of metal. If you've identified the "Why?" (Case remachining) then shortening the lifter would reset a pocket for the oil to collect in and work it's way past the tappet, lubricating it. Presently, it pushes the oil under your cork on each rise.

The original setup had hydraulic cans on top of each pushrod, I believe.

Andygears
thebeast
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

Andygears, the tappets you and I have are the same. When installing the cork for the rear intake and rotating for adjustment, you can see the tappet hitting the cork. It doesn’t leak after I open up the ID of the cork for clearance, it’s just something else I have to keep an eye on.
Thanks, James

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”