valve lnserts

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
marty
Bikes: none at the moment

valve lnserts

Post by marty »

hi guys I don't post much most of my answers come from reading other posts put I'm a little stoked I bought some panhead valve inserts on line still in the factory sleeves
marked 18057-48 they look good the out side has grooves cut and the top looks like the valve seat is some what cut. I don't plan on using them till next year
when I retire, I have been collecting broken parts to put back together ( I like lost causes ) any way what would the process be for putting these in and are any shops still able to do this thanks o by the way I'm not very good with this computer so I don't know how to post pictures yet.
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Re: valve lnserts

Post by rigidpanman »

im sure the guy that does my machine work can do this,bad thing is we are in virginia
58demon
Bikes: 1958 FLH Duo-glide, 1993 FXSTS restored

Post by 58demon »

Follow this for attaching photo's to your post.

How to add a picture/attachment to your post
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

The basic procedure for valve seat replacement involves lining up with the valve guide as a pilot and boring out the old seat till it's thin enough to come out. So.... If the guides are worn, it's best to replace them at the same time, that is before the seats are done. Then, with new guides properly installed, the seats can be put in precisely concentric to the guide and then the new valve will lap in with the right margins and depth into the head.
So, your good deal on seats may end up costing new guides, new valves, labor & shipping. Then, how are the springs? Collars? And what cam are you planning? for clearance/coil height?
One more thing, the seats you have may not work with your heads if the old seat hole doesn't clean up with the right interference fit for that seat.
I personally do not have a shop I can recommend, however consider this, you have two factors: Man & Machine, you need a person, experienced, recommended, trustworthy, and talented. And a machine, Serdi makes an excellent specific "Valve seat machine" but good results can be had on a Bridgeport.

My two cents
Andygears
george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

Post by george48pan »

garystroudracing.com

they have a complete machine shop. Excellent work.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Hannan's Machine Shop, Hayward, CA

Address: 21050 Mission Blvd, Hayward, CA 94541
Phone:(510) 581-5315
marty
Bikes: none at the moment