Need to replace pan gasket

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
RI61Duoglide
Bikes: 1961 Duo glide

Need to replace pan gasket

Post by RI61Duoglide »

Pretty sure that I know the answer, but is there any way I can change the gasket with th enging in the frame, or is it impossibe and I need to remove the heads?
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Re: Need to replace pan gasket

Post by Mark44 »

In "Mechanics and Owners Guide, 1941 - 1959 Harley-Davidson OHV Big Twins," by Kirk Perry, he describes a way to do this. The short version is that after you get the pan loose, and remove the old pan gasket, you make a bevel cut in the new pan gasket, and work it around between the head and the pan, gluing it when the entire gasket is in place. The procedure as described in the book, starting on p. 119, is quite a bit longer than my short version here.
kfelt
Bikes: '65 ElectraGlide
'56 BMW R69
'87 Heritage Softail

Post by kfelt »

I could see how this could be done in theory but how do you get all the old stuck on gasket and sealer off? Seems it would be a nightmare to clean and make sure the pan cover is flat and not get old gasket material falling in places you don't want it. Then the cut that is made in the new gasket is just another place it could leak. Hard enough getting them not to leak when everything is clean and straight on your work bench!
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

kfelt wrote:I could see how this could be done in theory but how do you get all the old stuck on gasket and sealer off?
The author said he used acetone.
kfelt wrote: Seems it would be a nightmare to clean and make sure the pan cover is flat and not get old gasket material falling in places you don't want it. Then the cut that is made in the new gasket is just another place it could leak. Hard enough getting them not to leak when everything is clean and straight on your work bench!
I agree completely.
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Some folks have used the Accurate Engineering rubber/neoprene gaskets that can be stretched over the pan covers with the heads on the bike.
RI61Duoglide
Bikes: 1961 Duo glide

Post by RI61Duoglide »

I'm thinking now that it would be more efficient for me just to pull their heads and give them a good cleaning, inspection and then put a pair of James baskets ' gaskets on her and call it a day.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

RI61Duoglide wrote:I'm thinking now that it would be more efficient for me just to pull their heads and give them a good cleaning, inspection and then put a pair of James baskets ' gaskets on her and call it a day.
That makes the most sense to me, too. It'll give you a chance to de-carbon the piston tops and the combustion chambers.
I like the blue James head gaskets, but regular cork pan gaskets and pushrod tube seals. I was taught at a young age by an old grey-beard that thin cork gaskets are used with thick cast aluminum d-rings, while the thick gaskets are for early thin laminated steel d-rings. The reasoning is that if you use thick gaskets with thick d-rings, there's too much 'give' and easier to crack the d-rings. Might be a myth, but that's what I always thought. Makes sense to me.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”