lousy#@$*%$#! aluminum pushrods!

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

lousy#@$*%$#! aluminum pushrods!

Post by mr. z »

So I was riding last night, got off the freeway to get gas, bike began running terribly, and the valve train sounded horrible. Something was up in the rear cylinder, limped home, shut her down. Got to it this morning, the rear exhaust valve's pushrod came apart the moment I raised up the cover tube. My tappets and blocks are the JIMS hydro-solid type, they are also called powerglide.Not my first choice, they came on my lower end short block when I bought it, was told at that time I should use JIMS aluminum pushrods to go with these tappets. I think they suck, and would like to know if there are any alternatives that will work besides these sucky, overpriced JIMS rods, preferably steel. I need something with a 7/16" ballend on top and 1/4" ball end for the tappet, was thinking about these:
http://vulcanworks.net/Panhead--Shovelh ... -c-14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What say you? The knowledge base has alot about pushrods and tappets, however nothing much close regarding my setup, my engine is a Franken-pan for sure, Thanx in advance
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Re: lousy#@$*%$#! aluminum pushrods!

Post by George Greer »

Wow....

yet another story of aluminum pushrods.

After looking at many posts about them, I am not going to use them.......as a matter of fact, the ones that came off my engine are scored up, and are beginning to mushroom at the ends.

I have a set of S&S Steel Adjustable rods waiting on me.

Drop in at the S&S website and have a look.

George
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Post by mr. z »

Yep, took a look at the S&S page, $110.00 for a set that doesn't even come with adjusters! The search continues
oleblu72
Bikes: 63FLH, 98 Buell white lightening,73 Sportster,
Norton,Triumph,Royal Enfield
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

mr. z wrote:So I was riding last night, got off the freeway to get gas, bike began running terribly, and the valve train sounded horrible. Something was up in the rear cylinder, limped home, shut her down. Got to it this morning, the rear exhaust valve's pushrod came apart the moment I raised up the cover tube. My tappets and blocks are the JIMS hydro-solid type, they are also called powerglide.Not my first choice, they came on my lower end short block when I bought it, was told at that time I should use JIMS aluminum pushrods to go with these tappets. I think they suck, and would like to know if there are any alternatives that will work besides these sucky, overpriced JIMS rods, preferably steel. I need something with a 7/16" ballend on top and 1/4" ball end for the tappet, was thinking about these:
http://vulcanworks.net/Panhead--Shovelh ... -c-14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What say you? The knowledge base has alot about pushrods and tappets, however nothing much close regarding my setup, my engine is a Franken-pan for sure, Thanx in advance

I ordered those for my motor, its been alittle over two weeks now ,begining to wonder where my rods are.

Mark
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

George Greer wrote:Wow....

yet another story of aluminum pushrods.

After looking at many posts about them, I am not going to use them.......as a matter of fact, the ones that came off my engine are scored up, and are beginning to mushroom at the ends.

I have a set of S&S Steel Adjustable rods waiting on me.

Drop in at the S&S website and have a look.

George
Do they make adjustable steel pushers for a Pan? I saw the solid with the adjustable inserts. What did I miss? I'd love to have adjustable steel rods with solid inserts. I think it would make life much easier when adjusting solids.
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I got my steel adjustable from Comp Cams. They are made in the standard hydraulic shaped ends. Made in the USA. Of course they are great. Mike
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Huck wrote:Do they make adjustable steel pushers for a Pan?
Yes, yes they do..! They make a pushrod for about every application.
I have the non-adjustable pushrods with solid lifters in my '52. The adjustment is in the tappet.
I have not yet ran the motor, so I can't vouch for longevity, sorry.
But after reading in this forum about the issues with aluminum pushrods, I gunny bagged the set I had, and bought the S&S steel pushrods.
They run around $75 a set for the non-adjustable.

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Vintage- ... rods-c919/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Mr Z.

Check this:

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Vintage- ... rods-c919/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part number 93-5067 $119.95

That is what I intend to be using.

George
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

The ones that George told you checkout, --I have been running for a few yrs now!, & put miles on!--Steel ADJ. from S&S-Cant go wrong!--I have solid tappets to!--I stopped using Alum.-pushers yrs. ago--The ones most people get are Colonys & pure JUNK!--The ends are pressed in a half-inch-(both-ends)-Ask me how I know :lol: ,Still got plenty of ends if you got a Lathe handy!---Richie 8)
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I'm not bucking! just tring to figure this out less throwing $ down the drain. That part number is for shovelhead? I called S&S asked for clarification, the person on the phone said they are not offered for Pan.

Vulcan 40 bucks for adjustable? no thanks, get what you pay for
Crane I couldn't find anything on the site.

On the S&S site the description isn't clear, did the rep on the phone steer me wrong?
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Funny,Ive been running the colony aluminum pushrods for 16 years and never had a problem.Maybe they last longer on hydraulic lifters?
mr. z

Post by mr. z »

Its looking like the part # 93-5091 is the way to go for me, George, the only thing about yer recomendation on part # 93-5067 is that they are shovelhead rods, but I much appreciate yours, and everyone elses suggestions. I looked thru all, comp cams has only evo & shovel, couldn't find anything from Crane for pans either, and the Vulcans, I decided not to go cheap, so the S&S rods it is.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Hog54 wrote:Funny,Ive been running the colony aluminum pushrods for 16 years and never had a problem.Maybe they last longer on hydraulic lifters?
Dad ran the aluminum push rods that are in my 51 (His old bike) for many years.
I have put about 20000 miles on them since I rebuilt the motor, and am showing no signs of any damage.
Been in there for 40+ years.
Solid lifters....
I think some of them get damaged when not properly adjusted from the pounding they take.
Dale
mr. z

Post by mr. z »

51Hog wrote:
Hog54 wrote:Funny,Ive been running the colony aluminum pushrods for 16 years and never had a problem.Maybe they last longer on hydraulic lifters?
Dad ran the aluminum push rods that are in my 51 (His old bike) for many years.
I have put about 20000 miles on them since I rebuilt the motor, and am showing no signs of any damage.
Been in there for 40+ years.
Solid lifters....
I think some of them get damaged when not properly adjusted from the pounding they take.
Dale
Could be, no two engines are ever the same thats true. My tappets are "hydro -solid" which means the benifit of solid lifters doesn't kick in untill high RPM(in theory). These rods of mine were continually looked over and adjusted with just a two finger slight drag to them, as per the manufactures' instructions. One of them failed, seems JIMS parts sometimes have a way of doing just that, I had a shovel with a pinion shaft made by them that snapped due to a bad heat treatment, upon further investigation, they had a whole batch of these shafts fail like that, this was in the mid 1990s. This is my first experience with aluminum rods, never once did I have this happen with steel ones in the 33 years I've been working and riding these machines.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

I've been running Colony aluminum since 1995 with no problems with solid lifters... Maybe the older ones were made sturdier than the new ones?

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”