OE 48-52 pushrods

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

OE 48-52 pushrods

Post by 1951 adam »

So I line bored my early blocks .015 over, and I picked up a few sets of OE pushrods on ebay, the units seem to pump up after cleaning them....I know that everyone says they dont work right, but is anyone running them, I am really curious on how well or how badly they function. I'm am very much into original design and function. After years of working in dealerships , and going through the "chopper phase" and then owning stock bikes, pans , shovels, and evos...I came to relize how well original design works....but of course there are exceptions , Whos running them on there bikes, Adam
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: OE 48-52 pushrods

Post by FlatHeadSix »

1951 adam wrote:Whos running them on there bikes, Adam
Not me! The OEM set of oil-can hydraulics from my '49 is sitting on the shelf. Best move I ever made was pulling them out and putting in a set of solid push rods. The lifters under the OEM set will accept a set of solids like they were made for it and if you adjust them correctly they work flawlessly.

Put that set of hydraulic pushrods in your bike and then tell us about how they perform after they have been in there a while. I assure you that there will come a day when you try to start it (maybe after its been sitting for a bit), and you absolutely CANNOT push the pedal down after a couple kicks, even if you jump on it with both feet. They leak down, the valves don't open, the compression builds up in the cylinders and practically locks the engine tight. And that's just one of the problems they are noted for.

Put the OEM oil-cans on your wall-of-shame and get a good set of solids, you won't be sorry.
jmho
mike
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Yeah I had them in another bike once and they sucked.Theres a reason why harley went to hydraulic lifters.I wouldnt put them in a bike again even if the owner asked me too.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I know of some guys running the HYD.-LIFTERS!, But it ends there!--The pushrods SUCK plain & simple!----NOW this deprnds what you are going to do with the bike!,-IF its gonna be a trailerqueen all original showpiece & olny start it for show!--NA I still wouldnt use them!-They dont pop the tubes when judging anyway! I ride year round, so I run what has to work!---just my 2---RICHIE :shock:
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

58flh wrote:I know of some guys running the HYD.-LIFTERS!, But it ends there!--The pushrods SUCK plain & simple!----NOW this deprnds what you are going to do with the bike!,-IF its gonna be a trailerqueen all original showpiece & olny start it for show!--NA I still wouldnt use them!-They dont pop the tubes when judging anyway! I ride year round, so I run what has to work!---just my 2---RICHIE :shock:
Richie, No I have never put a bike on a trailer in 27 years of riding. I have to admit I dont use this bike as much as I used to, she used to be my one and only, now I pretty much jump on my dyna when I blast off. She became just a pure pleasure now, not a daily ride. I ride new bikes all day long, so when I jump on my pan.....well its something special, and you know most people can't relate or understand that. Guys now riding new bikes really dont get it, theres something awesome about the look and the history of these old girls.....Adam
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I know that everyone says they dont work right
There is a reason for that.
Factory changed the design in 53 to get them to work better.
Jerry
Last edited by 1950Panhead on Mon May 21, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

If the Panhead oiling system had maintained a constant and somewhat higher pressure than it does they likely would have worked fine. Just not enough in a stock system to maintain constant pressure to them.
One of the more common tricks we did was to dissemble them and drop a ball bearing in, and reassemble, effectively making them solid without the welding!The '53 up unit was a very definite improvement!
Robbie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Adam!

Actually,
the pushrod units work well once they are pumped up.

Unfortunately, idling rough until they fill can mean a blown right case around the cam bushing.

...Cotten
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Robbie, That sounds like a great idea, I will try it, Cotton I DO NOT WANT A blown case! Strong point Not to try them,, Thank you

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”