Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
asavolai
Bikes: EL -48
ULH -38
JDF -28

-48 Panhead lifters, solid or not

Post by asavolai »

Hello all!
I'm a new member here, altough I've been following this forum since I bought my panhead one year ago.

I've been riding on it about 6000km without any major problems. Now I hear some noises from engine and I thought it's a time for check valve clearances. I've understood that my -48 pan had originally hydraulic pushrods, but I checked them today and I don't have those. I'm wondering if I have solid lifters or hydraulic ones. Can anyone help, hopefully there's picture with this message?
pushrod.JPG
I'm also thinking what is the purpose of the plugged hole in cam cover, see picture? I haven't seen many of this kind of cam cover. Is it -48 or later cover?
pushrod.JPG
This is a great site, thank you in advance,
BR
Antti
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: -48 Panhead lifters, solid or not

Post by 1950Panhead »

48 hydraulic units were near the top of the pushrod, slide the top pushrod cover down or remove a pushrod to check.
You have a 51/52 gear cover, the pluged hole was used in the casting process.
Jerry
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Antti!

You do not have a '48 right case, nor much of anything else.

Your lifters are "solid" replacements for the later years.

Please use the search function and knowledge base for the many discussions about adjustment.

Good luck!

....Cotten
asavolai
ULH -38
JDF -28

Post by asavolai »

Thanks both of you,
I'll have to check clearances then. I verified there's no hydraulics in top of the pushrods.

Do you know which year right case is? Or is it aftermarket?
I think my bike has not much more 1948 than the left case, if even that. Frame has no toolboxbracket and there's no loops for a sidecar, so I believe it's a aftermarket frame. Castings looks good anyways (rear wheel mounting casts and neck).
Springer is also inline, which should be offset.

But it's a fun bike to ride and that's important if you're not restorating!

BR A
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

IF ya look close ,you can see a pushrod that will soon fragment on ya!--The insert is starting to get(PUSHED) into the tube!--This is the common ocurrance of ALUM. pushrods that most likely are colony!--Plus the lok-screw doesent need 100LBS of snugging either! Thats what starts the whole process going out to leftfield. ADVISE you check others & replace as nessesary, or better go with STEEL pushrods if you plan on packin the mileage on!-----RICHIE
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Steel push rods can be hard to find in some locations but you can get a set from S&S. The aluminum ones are junk, a pain to keep adjusted & the ball ends get pounded into the rod ends, throw them away.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Ritchie I have been looking for steel pushrods...just bought a set of 48-52 hyda units....I guess I'm just curious if the damn units will work...never seen one , yet alone worked on one. wish me luck!
asavolai
ULH -38
JDF -28

Post by asavolai »

Thanks for hints, Have to start looking for steel ones. For a quick look it's looks like everyone are selling colony aluminum rods.
br antti
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Br A!

Your right case and cast tappet blocks suggest that you could easily install the later hydraulic units, making the pushrod material irrelevant.

....Cotten
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Hauula Pan wrote:Steel push rods can be hard to find in some locations but you can get a set from S&S. The aluminum ones are junk, a pain to keep adjusted & the ball ends get pounded into the rod ends, throw them away.
The S&S site is confusing to me (not hard to do). I have stock type lifters with I assume colony adjustable inserts and aluminum rods. These are a major PITA to adjust. I’d like the solid inserts with adjustable steel rods. I reached out to S&S, haven’t heard an answer yet, might be jumping the gun. Do you run the set from S&S? I’m trying to figure out which part number to order to get what I want.
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Post by rozemab »

Huck wrote:
Hauula Pan wrote:Steel push rods can be hard to find in some locations but you can get a set from S&S. The aluminum ones are junk, a pain to keep adjusted & the ball ends get pounded into the rod ends, throw them away.
The S&S site is confusing to me (not hard to do). I have stock type lifters with I assume colony adjustable inserts and aluminum rods. These are a major PITA to adjust. I’d like the solid inserts with adjustable steel rods. I reached out to S&S, haven’t heard an answer yet, might be jumping the gun. Do you run the set from S&S? I’m trying to figure out which part number to order to get what I want.
I just installed a new set today in my '51 engine. Steel S&S rods and the quality is 1st rate. Replaced a Colony set.

In my setup the tappet has the lash screw and split nut as part of it. The rods therefore are non adjustable.

Remember the large ball end goes up. And the longest rod is the forward cylinder exhaust.

Also I recommend replacing all tube gaskets at the same time. This time I used the quad-seal design in allthree locations.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”