Pushrod, hole or no hole??

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
uwiik
Inactive member
Bikes: 1949 Hydra Glide

Pushrod, hole or no hole??

Post by uwiik »

Got a problem with my early hydra....When engine's hot, it would make tons of noise. But when cold it starts very easily, quiet and runs strong.
Based on my 'research' in this forum, I am suspecting failed hydraulic pushrod... Going to replace it with solid pushrod and leave the solid lifters as it is.... Today I came across a set of late panhead solid pushrod laying unused in one of the shop in town. One thing I am not sure yet, does the pushrod suppose to have oil passageway hole in that goes from top to bottom or not? The one I saw has no oil passageway hole...
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Pushrod, hole or no hole??

Post by RUBONE »

does the pushrod suppose to have oil passageway hole in that goes from top to bottom or not?
No, a hole is not necessary for any reason.
Robbie
uwiik
Inactive member
Bikes: 1949 Hydra Glide

Post by uwiik »

RUBONE wrote:
does the pushrod suppose to have oil passageway hole in that goes from top to bottom or not?
No, a hole is not necessary for any reason.
Robbie
Ok thanks for the answer. So oil does not travel up via pushrod in panhead?? I really gotta get that shop manual printed so I can read it properly...
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

So oil does not travel up via pushrod in panhead??
No, it does not! Oil goes up a passage in the cylinder wall to the head and then through the rocker block casting to the rocker arm. It returns down a passage in the head into a hole in the cylinder where it drains into the crankcase. Depending on the year it either follows a channel in the top case surface to return or dumps out a hole in the side of the cylinder to help lube the piston skirts. The top of the pushrod is oiled from the rocker arm. The bottom collects condensed vapor into the cup. Very basic system!
Robbie
BudPounder
Inactive member
Bikes: 06 FXDB 04 FLHTCUI 89FLHTCU

Post by BudPounder »

I think 49's had the lifter built into the pushrod, if your working on your 1949.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”