Triple Tree Identification

Information about the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Re: Triple Tree Identification

Post by Lowbikemike »

Hog54 wrote:
Lowbikemike wrote:What type of problems can one expect if they use the earlier style rigid lower tree on a swingarm frame?

Depends what swingarm frame.On 69 and later you wouldnt have a neck lock or a padlock mount.So no locking your neck at all.

Its a 62 frame, so the neck lock is good. I'm more concerned about the offset or rake if there is any.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Theres no difference in rake.
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

The 49-57 trees ARE a different rake than the 58& up trees.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The difference in rake was a result of the swingarm frame sitting in a different relationship to the ground. The bottom tree corrects that difference an keeps the handling reasonable. The notches were added for more steering lock to aid in slow speed maneuvering. Basic geometry. No magic, smoke, or mirrors involved!
Robbie
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Well I dont know how you could change the rake in a triple tree unless its the adjustable kind.You would have to machine the tube holes in an angle to get any kind of rake.And I have used swingarm lower trees with rigid uppers and they fit fine.So if there was any difference in them you couldnt use them together?
UPSROD

Post by UPSROD »

Several posts back Chris posted pics of the two different lower trees. The one with the oval lug
has LESS rake, brings the front wheel closer to the frame. The top fork bracket to match the 58 up
lower is the same-48 casting but machined to sit flat on the cone seat, because of the new angle
of the lower. The 49-57 WILL fit, as ALL things Harley will fit, but not correctly. The 49-57 when used
with a latter lower will have a gap at the rear of the cone seat and the seat will want to loosen in
operation.
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

UPSROD wrote:Several posts back Chris posted pics of the two different lower trees. The one with the oval lug
has LESS rake, brings the front wheel closer to the frame. The top fork bracket to match the 58 up
lower is the same-48 casting but machined to sit flat on the cone seat, because of the new angle
of the lower. The 49-57 WILL fit, as ALL things Harley will fit, but not correctly. The 49-57 when used
with a latter lower will have a gap at the rear of the cone seat and the seat will want to loosen in
operation.

Funny I never noticed a gap and I have used mismatched trees dozens of times.Maybe I never looked too hard but they always went together fine.A matter of fact,I have like a 85- 90 wideglide lower tree with a rigid pan top tree on my bike right now that ive ran for 16 years and never had a problem? :shock:
UPSROD

Post by UPSROD »

How do you know it is a rigid pan top tree? A 58-59 top tree has the same part# and riser
spacing as a 49-57, just machined at a different angle at the stem hole.

Return to “Identification”