shocks

Information on forks/springers/shocks
darrylspanhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 58 swingarm panhead

shocks

Post by darrylspanhead »

hi my name is darryl. im working on building my first harley. i think its around 58 (the frame that is) and i just picked up the swingarm from the long beach swapmeet. could be alittle later one but its a round tube compatible for drum brakes which im running front an rear. anyway ive got lots and lots of questions so im hoping this site will help me out cause i call harley shops everyday HA!

whats the smallest size shock i can run without welding on new axel holes? i want to go as low as i can go without fabricating frame. also what size eye holes on the shocks am i looking for?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: shocks

Post by Bosheff »

What are ya tryin to do? I'm gonna assume yer wantin to lower it in the rear, right?....bosheff
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

well im new to all this! but yeah id like to be as low as i can in the rear! ive heard that i should go with 12" shocks and that 10" will be uncomfortable, but after looking on ebay they do make 11" and most are 1/2 mounting holes. just wondering which ones to get...or is something i should wait to buy?
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

oh and am i a member??? i read that if im not my post wont appear until they are reviewed...
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

The easiest way to get the ass end lower than stock using stock parts is to use a 73 and later square swingarm with FX shocks. If yer insistant on usin a round swing arm with 73 and later FX shocks, yer gonna have to come up with lower shock studs to mate the FX shock with a round swing arm. The factory used 1/2" bolts with the square swing arm I believe. Maybe the aftermarket supplies these....bosheff
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

yeah darn i just bought a round swingarm that im for surely using! i was aware that the square swing was for disk brakes. and like i said im going to used drums front and rear. so im looking for 73 or later FX shocks? 10-11 or 12" ?? i dont understand what "coming up with lower shock studs" mean..? would i have to cut and reweld those on my swing arm??? id rather not do things like that. is there a difference between shock studs and bolts?? im really sorry like i said im new to all this but really learning alot! hope im not frustrating anyone...i just really want to know my harley...im not paying someone to just build this hog for me! thanks again
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

First you can forget calling Harley Shops for anything about the old bikes. They know nothing about them, don't work on them and rarely have any parts for them. Heck they don't even want to look at EVO's anymore let alone a Shovel or Panhead. You would be better off finding a local bike shop that deals with older bikes and after market parts. If you need original, OEM" parts the 3 best places to look are swap meets, but you need to know what you're looking at, guys that hang out at a local shop, and there is always, "Old Dude" in Florida. Of course there is also good old e-bay if you like to gamble. As for the shocks & lowering your bike, the easiest way to do it right and still have a decent ride is go with a set of, "Progressive" or "Burley" shocks & also front springs. You can use 10" or 11" stock shocks but you'll have to match them to your swing arm. The main difference is the width. Most all use the same size diameter bolts but the actual width of the shock end is different & may be too wide for your mounts. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here at this forum and they are all very willing to help a newcomer. Don't hesitate to ask questions & welcome to the wonderful world of Panheads.
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

hahaah yeah thats what i meant! ive found a couple guys here in orange county that have been super helpful and patient! sweet! i just bought a set of "THESE GENUINE PROGRESSIVE/HARLEY DAVIDSON 10 3/4" EYE TO EYE CENTER SHOCKS were removed from a late model dyna superglide. 1/2" eyes." off ebay for alittle under $100 barley used from a guy in north carolina! SUPER sweet guy that sells shocks as a hobby. he tests all of them before they go online! IF YOU NEED SHOCKS THIS IS YOUR GUY! honest!!!!! anyway that was my plug for him :)

so all i need are 1/2" studs which i cant find on ebay...they have a set but they are brand new and are like 55 bucks! ill have to keep looking!

i really hope they are the right diameter...crap! how can i tell????
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

$(KGrHqFHJCEE9EDFg9wmBPR85scTP!~~60_58.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

darrylspanhead wrote:oh and am i a member??? i read that if im not my post wont appear until they are reviewed...

yes you are and welcome aboard!

don't be afraid of asking questions we all started where you are now!

john :D
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

thank you! :) this has already been such a learning experience!!! :)
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

do the shocks have a steel sleeve inside the rubber? If so you can press it out & run the rubber against the stud. Or if you have a friend with a lathe he can turn down your studs on one end.. But if you do, avoid overly rough roads (like Oklahoma!)
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

just wanted to say thanks so much to all that responded to my posts! i cant tell you how much help its been! could have done this without you! THANK YOU!!!!!!!! i found a pair a shocks that will perfect for my bike...at least i think :) if not ill be back on here! i hope that i can be of service to anyone with questions like mine someday!

God Bless
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Check in often and use the knowledge base, you'll find a lot of info. there. Once you browse around the site you'll find all kinds of helpful info. and of course all the other members are at you disposal and I can tell you there are several that are virtual walking encyclopedias where these old bikes are concerned. Finally best of luck with your project and we all enjoy when people post pictures of their progress.
darrylspanhead
Inactive member

Post by darrylspanhead »

here ya go! this is basically what im working with! minus the front and rear end :) :) the rear end was from a honda and i got convinced to sell it and go harley...SO I DID! picked up a swing arm at the swap meet and been looking everyday for a 16x4 rear rim and drum brakes to fit! the front end i was going to use but the forks lower triple tree is 7/8 and my panhead needs a 1"...they can work but i want a 21" wheel up front and those forks might just be too long for the look im going for! it would ride high i think! anyway what do i know! only what people tell me and what ive spend hours researching! so there it is! my first harley build!
IMG00784-20110723-1821.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”