New Forks

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Cavscoutjim
Inactive member
Bikes: 1965 FLH

New Forks

Post by Cavscoutjim »

I might be committing cardinal sin, but I am pretty sure I want to swap out the front end on my bike. Its a non numbers matching setup, so I am not worried about "resale" as much as functionality. I would like to swap out the cable drum for a hydro disk setup. Just need a little more mechanical advantage to feel comfortable daily driving it. I know that all the big v twins got the same neck, but the length and the mounting holes for the front fender are about the only things that I am concerned about. My stock one could used a rebuild and the lowers are set up for drum (obviously) so it seems easier and cheaper to go complete. Is this a correct assesment? Also what would I need? I figured braking hardware, rim/axle to match the fork, and forks from the triples down. Am I missing anything?
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Re: New Forks

Post by DuoGlide62 »

If your tubes are good all you need are the lower legs, caliper,, disc, disc brake timkin bearing hub, spacers,and axle for the banana caliper front end. Fender will fit.
AdlerRicoh1%20copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

If you are not concerned about being, "Correct" as in keeping the bike original. Then the nice thing about Harley is most years will interchange. You can just replace the lower legs with a juice or even a disc set up. Most of the fenders will fit the later model lowers. Many after market options available too. Suggestion - Keep your original stuff, you never know when you might get the urge to do a restoration. I had my 1952FL for 30 years as a semi-stocker, full on chopper, etc. & about 3 years ago decided to go back to original stock. Can't tell you how glad I was to have kept all my old parts. P.S. After running disc. brakes front & rear for all those years it was a real eye opener the first time I used the old drum set up again.
Cavscoutjim
Inactive member
Bikes: 1965 FLH

Post by Cavscoutjim »

Excellent, thanks guys. I love this site. How hard is it to swap out lowers? I have never done it before but mech inclined.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”