Information on forks/springers/shocks
xlch72
Bikes: 1997 XL1200s
1969 FLH
1959 FLH Rigid
1959 XLCH

Fork lowering

Post by xlch72 »

Is there any way to lower the front suspension on a pre early '77 shovelhead? I know they make kits for the later style. I'd like to lower my '69 shovel (I know this is the P-head F-head site but the fork internals are the same aren't they?) so I can get my a more flat footed stance at stoplights. I really REALLY don't want to resort to buying Kiss style platform boots :wink:

Thanks
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talldrifter
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Re: Fork lowering

Post by talldrifter »

Progressive makes springs of different lengths. I have Progressive fork springs in my 1981 framed Pan that are shorter than stock and you add a custom cut spacer (read heavy wall PVC, per their instructions) to bring it up to stock length or leave it lowered. I also have 1/2" shorter shocks on the back, I have to pay attention on right turns but I like it lowered. Keep in mind that the lower you make it the less ground clearance you will have for cornering and speed bumps. I'm 6' 4" with a 36" inseam and the seat is about up to my knee, but I like it that way.

That is a nice ride you have there. If you don't do a lot of mud road riding I think you can lower the back a bit. There is a lot of space between the rear tire and fender for 1950's mud, measure it and see how much clearance you need. The next thing on the list would be a lower seat, pretty soon you won't recognize your nice restoration.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

Mornin XL very nice ride !
Iv been riding my shovel for 35 yrs now with a solo seat and wouldnt change it for the world.... Take the seat off the T bar "remove T bar and hang on your wall for future use" now , move the seat back this will lower the nose of the seat and mabe get you where you need to be. .. the cross tube in the frame right above the battery will be your rear mounting point for the seat , a 1" piece of angle iron on each side will be what you need for attaching the seat to the frame ... then you need to make a short "@ 2.5" " straight brkt for the front , attach it to the front seat mounting bolt , making sure it points forward... it should lay on the big main frame tube just ahead of the seat post hole ,"oh ya remove the seat post and hange it next to the T bar" .. make sure there are no wires in the way and fasten brkt to the frame with a hose clamp.... its too easy ! and once you got your pieces made you can space the rear up "or not" as needed .
when done you cant even see these new brkts as they are well hidden under the seat. PM me if you need any help. get yourself a set of trees for running a side car this will lower the front a bit , dont hak your stock length tubes that old girl needs all the suspension travel it can get. Ed
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If you do decide to run raked trees, yer probably gonna need to run the headlight adapter ring to git yer headlight beam outta the sky and back on the road....bosheff
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

yep !
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I use the stock suspension with this Corbin seat.
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”