Bent springer axel

Information on forks/springers/shocks
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Bent springer axel

Post by rodklop »

I bought a swap meet axel for my springer that was caked with grime. Finally got around to cleaning it up.
It has a sleight bend in the center. It's just noticeable if you hold it up and eyeball it.
I have acess to a pretty hefty press, and I'm thinking of using v-blocks to try to streighten it. Anyone
have advise? I've never tried this before......Thanks in advance Rod
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Bent springer axel

Post by Cotten »

Rod!

You have little choice!
Beware however, that a hydraulic press will give you very little feel for how much to bend past 'straight', to allow it to relax to 'straight'.

I prefer a screwpress.

Good luck!

....Cotten
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Hi Cotton.........Good advise, I haden't thought about that. I think one of our local machine shops has an old hand operated type press.....Thanks....Rod
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Rod,
Cotten is right about two things; 1. you have little choice, 2. With enough pressure you can ruin ANYTHING.

Cold bending, done right, will probably fix it. Metal has a "memory" and will return to its original shape if you push it the right way, and not too far. The trick is knowing how far to push it.

If you have access to a screw press, and a good set of "V" blocks, set it up as straight as you can eye-ball it and go at it a little bit at a time. Those things are hardened and heat treated, brittle as glass, take it easy and be patient, you may be able to save it.

good luck!

mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I you have a lathe sturdy enough, you can try putting the axle between locked centers and pushing upon it with the toolpost.
That would be a proper way to inspect it for straightness anyway.

....Cotten
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Thanks guys...Going to be my first project of the new year, sometime next week. I'll let you know how I make out....Rod
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Just an update...found someone with a homemade old screw press, and was able to streighten the axel.
We checked it in a lathe and it came out all right. I have to say, there is great satisfaction in being able to
repair parts, no matter how small, and bring them back to usable condition...thanks for the advise...Rod

Return to “Forks/Shocks”