Springer choice

Information on forks/springers/shocks
panster

Springer choice

Post by panster »

Description: My concerns are ground clearance, handling and of course looks.

Hi all,
I've sort of asked this question before, I have decided to put springers on my bobber, it has a '51, 30* frame and at the moment I run a stock Hydra.
My choice is between:
Stock length inline.
Stock length offset.
2" over inline.
My concerns are ground clearance, handling and of course looks. I will be using my 5x16 wheel. Also has anyone used the twin cam (tls) springer brake (45 depot), is it at least as good as a Hydra front drum?
Interested in your opinions.
Thanks.
Jonderson
Inactive member

Re: Springer choice

Post by Jonderson »

I would go with the 2" over. The only concern you have that would be more than minimally affected by either choice is looks. Some might disagree when it comes to handling, and if you were going to over 4" I would agree with them, but only going 2" should be no big deal.
Are you sure you don't want to go with a 3x21?
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

panster, why only 3 options on the forks? I would opt for the 2" offset if you're not going to run a fender. It keeps the trail correct and levels the bike just right.
As far as our Dual Cam brake, we've sold a ton of them. A few people made a few comments on the first and second batches we made, but since have corrected the material for the shoes for better stopping power. That's always a problem with a new product, sometimes it takes the public to bring to light changes that we didn't completely see in testing. It still takes a few miles to wear in the brake, but I've received no negitive feedback.
I'll have a disc brake conversion for the stock Springer fork on the site in a couple weeks.
Side note: there is another company passing off a Dual Cam brake assembly on-line as being the same one we produce and have gone as far as saying they make the brake for us. Be careful, this is not the truth and this brake can cause serious damage or injury if used. The product is made from inferior materials and will eventually fail due to fatigue because the parts are not correctly manufactured.

Kurt
panster

Post by panster »

Thanks Jonderson and Kurt, I value your opinions. I prefer the heavy look of the 16" at the moment Jonderson, but I know what you mean about the 21". Kurt did you mean, go with 2" over inline ? I think 2" offset would ride higher than I want. ( I don't think extended offsets are available anyway).
I've limited myself to these three choices after much thought, I understand there are some handling issues with certain combinations of stock frame rake and wheel size, that's why H-D offset the forks maybe, more trail !
Looks wise, I dont want a chopper look, more a bobber (as it is), 2" over springers should still be lower than a stock Hydra, yes ?
I know 2" is very little extention but I can't afford to make a mistake and it has been hard finding specific pictures of the combinations I'm looking for.
Kurt thanks for the advice about the brake, I'll be buying it from you.
Sorry for long post,
Jamie.
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

Yes, the 2" offset forks are available, we produce them.

The '51 frame is the same dimension-wise as a '48 or '49 which used a stock length offset Springer ('49 with sidecar). The offset was used to correct high-speed wobble by actually moving the wheel closer to the frame. You are correct that a 2" offset may stand the front of the frame up, but I don't think all that much compared to a 2" in-line. I'm not 100% positive, more like 99%, but the ride height with your current hydra front should stay the same if you were to use a standard length offset Springer. This is the normal conversion I sell and have never had a problem from a customer saying it was too low.
A problem you may run into though, is if you want to use Timken bearings. With an inline, it's not a problem, install and go, but with the offset fork stem, you need to manufacture a wedge washer for the bottom of the fork stem to allow the Timken to sit parallel to the frame head. If not, it will bind and wear out very quickly.

Kurt
panster

Post by panster »

Thanks Kurt,
I had wondered about the timkens with the offset forks, the wedge is a good solution. So now I am down to stock offset or 2" over inline, ( I won't use the + 2" offs ), do you think I'd have any high speed problems with the inlines and a 16" ? my pan runs well and I regularly ride at 70-75 mph.
Thanks again for your input.
J.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

Keep us posted on the disc brake setup Kurt. I'm getting ready to put some type of brakes on my springer. (Now, if someone could come up with a mini spool and a small disc brake!)
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Kurt

Please post your web site. I am interesed in your Dual Cam brake set.

Thanks

King
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Return to “Forks/Shocks”