Help with off-set springer

Information on forks/springers/shocks
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Help with off-set springer

Post by rodklop »

I'm installing an off-set springer on my 48 Pan. First thing on the fork stem is the lower bearing guard. This centers the lower race on the stem. I removed any paint in the area and made sure this seated aginst the fork. Next is the lower ball bearing race. The race has to be a bit above bottoming on the fork, in order to self center.
How far above ?? My race is 3/32 above bottoming on the fork. Is this about right ? I thought it would sit closer. I'm building fork from parts and don't have anything to compare. Thought I would run it by for some in-put......Rod
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Help with off-set springer

Post by RUBONE »

If you are using aftermarket races I have found that they are not machined correctly and the race sits too high and does not sit on the centering piece properly. I have a '44 Knuckle here right now that belongs to a friend with this very issue. The assembled races and related parts all stack up too high and make the handlebars sit way above the fork top ends, causing the steering damper to not fit correctly either! I am going to have to re-machine parts or find originals! :(
Robbie
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Hi Robbie...I am using after market races and lower centering guard. I was going to make a fixture to hold the lower centering guard and turn a bit off the bottom in the lathe, so the bottom race would be closer to the fork. Maybe about 1/32 off. Think this would cure the problem ? Thanks...Rod
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Part of what I found is that the spherical recess in the backside of the races does not match the centering guide. It is actually smaller and sits on the outside perimeter and does not contact the full surface. The radius needs to be larger and the overall thickness of the aftermarket race needs to be less. I haven't put one in the lathe yet to see how easy it is to cut. It needs to occur in the races as the top nut to race has the same issue!
Robbie
rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Hay Robbie..Thanks for the info. I went out in the garage and sure enough, it's just like you said. There screwed up top and bottom. My old 1948 races are just beginning to show a little notching from the balls.
I'm going to replace the balls and reinstall the old races..........Man, I hate this kind of crap.
Thanks again for your help

Return to “Forks/Shocks”