48 springer question

Information on forks/springers/shocks
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

48 springer question

Post by rodklop »

Need some advise. Trying to put together the correct springer for my 48 Pan. My queation reguards the bushing retainer plate, used on the 47/48 models. I am looking for an orig. used part, with little luck. Most people tell me they were either broken or repaired. Was this a problematic part, that tended to break easily?

I'm thinking of going with the earlier bushings with with the rim around them and just leave the retainer off.
Or am I being too cautious. I'm not building a 100 pt bike, just want a reliable ride...Thanks for any input
Rod
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 48 springer question

Post by RUBONE »

rodklop,
The bushing retainer plate is commonly broken, but not from a design fault. The reason they break is lack of lubrication on the spring rods and the rod bushings. When all the pieces get dry they tend to stick and put enormous force on the plate which then flexes at the center bolt with eventual failure. If all is kept lubed properly they are fine. So as is often the case, the problem is not the part, but the operator. :roll:
Robbie
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Re: 48 springer question

Post by rodklop »

Robbie...Thanks for the reply.Now I'll just have to find an original plate. I ordered one from V-Twin, and the top spring sits up on the rounded portion of the plate. About 1/8 inch above the base.I thought the spring should sit down on the plate, not rock on it.....Rod

Return to “Forks/Shocks”