fork cover picture wanted

Information on forks/springers/shocks
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

fork cover picture wanted

Post by hjans »

Hi
Can anyone post a pic of an original assy as posted below ?
I can obtain a set, and it says "hydraglide"on top of it, but what does it say on a duo ? Duoglide or nothing ??

Read in a previous post that height would be a problem, when changing from '60 -up style nacelle to the earlier model like exploded view shows.
Anyone nows correct size/height of the parts ?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: fork cover picture wanted

Post by Bigincher »

I can take photos of my original parts exactly as shown in the photo, if you like, which would be for the years 1949-54, having the horizontal ribs. The HydraGlide script was absent on the 1949 model. The tins from 1955-59 have the angled ribs forming a V-shape, and also have the HydraGlide script from '55-'57. Interestingly, Palmer says the HydraGlide script was present on the tins until 1959, but I believe this to be an error, as 1958 was, of course, the first year DuoGlide. I'd like to hear from someone with a '58 or '59 on this matter; is the HydraGlide script still present on the '58-'59 fork tins??
The same top clamp is used from 1949-59, so all the fork tins from those years are interchangeable, regardless of correctness. I guess your question is about the HydraGlide script?
I can take some dimenions of the mount holes on my '50-'54 HydraGlide fork tins, if that would help.
I can also tell you that the repop fork tins are about 3/16" shorter than OEM. The missing length is at the bottom, so they do not quite cover the tops of the fork slider covers. This is quite obvious, when you know what you're looking at. Original fork panels are 7-13/16" tall, while the repops are 7-5/8", this measurement taken right up the middle of the front of the panel. Be sure to measure the ones you are looking at to determine if they are OEM or repop.
Let me know if you want the photos, I'd be glad to help.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

the height diffrence is the bearing race cups,they are a diffrent height, this spreads the bolt hole centers father apart....
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

mbskeam wrote:the height diffrence is the bearing race cups,they are a diffrent height, this spreads the bolt hole centers father apart....
This is true, and something to watch out for.
But make no mistake that the repop front panels are definitely 3/16" shorter, as well.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I have a set of the re-pop tins from V-Twin, they cover the tops of the beer cans with a quarter inch overlap...Mike
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Panacea wrote:I have a set of the re-pop tins from V-Twin, they cover the tops of the beer cans with a quarter inch overlap...Mike
That's interesting. Ever compare them to OEM?
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Tom, with the headlite in the way I couldn't measure the front but alongside the spotlite bracket they measure 7 3/4"... Mike
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Panacea wrote:Tom, with the headlite in the way I couldn't measure the front but alongside the spotlite bracket they measure 7 3/4"... Mike
Mike, it's going to be really tough to make a comparison of yours on the bike and mine off the bike. You're probably measuring from the top of the top clamp, and since the front panel isn't exactly the same heighth as the top clamp, that's not an accurate comparison. But I can tell you that I have both an OEM and a repop that I can put in my hands, and the repop is 3/16" shorter than the OEM, measured both down the front or down the sides. Maybe those Chinese child slave laborers turned out a bad batch.....

I have also installed each one on my '52 in mockup, and the OEM panel covered the cowbells perfectly, while the repops left the tops of the cowbells slighty exposed, like by................ Oh, about 3/16". Since the OE panel fit so nice, I have confirmed that I have the correct steering head cups and bearings. I also talked to Dave Blankenship (do I have the name right?) about the steering head bearings, and I think it was you who gave me his phone number in the first place.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

There may be some issues with the V-Twin parts, perhaps I was just lucky enough to get a good set. Mark Blankenship was the go-to guy for 49-59 fork cups...Mike
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Panacea wrote:There may be some issues with the V-Twin parts.................
Oh, ya think?!! :lol:

Yep, maybe you were lucky and got yours before the stamps shrunk!
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

THAT COULD BE IT!
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

G'day,
Palmer, as I see it was correct. The front stainless trims on the Duo-Glide models 58,59 all had Hydra-Glide stamped in them.

It's one of those funny little Harley things you love about them. I have a 59 in the shed, my buddy has a 58 he was third
owner he got it in 1972 it was mint, both have the stamping. I have seen a one owner original paint 58, it too has the
hydra-glide stamping.

The only plain ones I have seen are on the late model copies of our front ends like on a Fatboy
but they don't enter the equation real.

All the best
Pete
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thank-you for that information Pete! I always wondered about that....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Hydra-Glide was their name for the fork, not for the bike. When the Duo-glide came out the fork was still a Hydra-Glide. The Duo-Glide nameplate appeared on the fender sides. The adoption of those names for the bikes was by the public, not by H-D!
Robbie
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

Rubone, I think/know in my mind you are correct. Harley's advertising for 1949 always stated about their
new "Hydra-Glide Fork" most of the 1949 ads had Hydra-Glide Fork plastered on the front. (They Thrashed the Fork)
But by the time 1950 ads rolled around they had dropped the word Fork and just
emphasized "Hydra-Glide" never mentioning fork again which stayed that way for the
7 years. Then Duo-Glide hit. Then they just pushed the three point suspension
FRONT, MIDDLE, REAR but did referred to in an ad for Feb 1959 " The Hydra Glide Fork"
again after the long absence.

Here's what they said, straight from an ad Oct 1950 for 1951 Models:

"Take off to thrill-land! Ride the proformin'est motorcycle of all time...
the 1951 Harley-Davidson Hydra Glide! Every mile is a new sensation! Hills melt
away like magic! Rough roads level out like boulevards. Straightaways make you fell
like you're flying! And you steer and hold the road so easily that ever day-long touring
leaves fresh and untired. You're ever-ready for fun as you take in exciting races,
hill climbs, endurance runs, sightseeing trips and special club events of every kind.
Get your share of the words greatest sport. Phone or see your dealer today. Mail coupon
now."

Somehow lame but cool!
I gleaned all this from studying old Harley ads, it's not gospel, it's how I see it, I guess. :)
All the best
Pete

Return to “Forks/Shocks”