Information on forks/springers/shocks
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Springer on a 62 frame

Post by Lowbikemike »

Hello all.

Just recently inherited a 62 pan and need a little help. I'm trying to figure out if a late model disc brake springer front end will fit the original frame and if so are any modifications needed? What years do I need to look for?

For the record, although I have an original frame and motor, the swingarm is later model aftermarket and the current front end is a 2000 and up FLST in which the tubes are too long. So since I have to do something with the front end I figured I'd go with a springer.

Thanks for ideas you can give me.
panhead55
Inactive member

Re: Springer on a 62 frame

Post by panhead55 »

if you can try and find an original glide front end. if you really want a springer then search for an original springer. they are out there and you will spend less on an original one than those big new ones they put on the new harleys. ebay and craigs list or just talking around a bit, you should find a nice front end.

-billy
Lowbikemike
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

I'd love to find an old original springer, but really want a disc brake. Can a disc brake setup be adapted to fit the earlier units.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Go to the gallery and check out the disk I put on my 49 chopper, FILE 590/1197 ( I don't know how to go directly to a specific image in the gallery) Mike
panhead55
Inactive member

Post by panhead55 »

yeah, you can pretty much do anything you want. the best thing you can do is read and research. give yourself some space to find out what you really want the bike to look like and then go from there. ha, then as soon as the bike is finished you'll want to tear it down and make changes....that what i did. :) good luck.

-billy
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

in your text insert [img]copyandpasteyourimageurlherewithnospaces[/img]

if you use the buttons above the text box in your reply it is easy!

you also use the same technique to insert a link. use the url instead of the img button.

john
doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Post by doug_heisel »

I have a 1952 pan frame and bolted up a 41mm wide glide for a 1984-99 softtail. fits like it belonged. this made it easy to go with a front disk brake. I liked the master cylinder on the late dyna and the handcontrols on a softtail it amazed me how easy all this bolted up. like panhead55 said you can do anything you want.
panhead55
Inactive member

Post by panhead55 »

the only thing i would say is if you have any original parts like frame, sheet metal etc, dont cut them up. there are too many aftermarket parts out there for that. the original gear is always worth more and you never know when your taste change and you might want to have a nice original or close to stock bike sometime down the road. i guess choppers were cool when a guy could purchase complete knucklehead and panheads all day long for $500.00. not the case anymore. merely a suggestion.

-billy
Lowbikemike
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Sweet bike Panacea!

I agree guys, I know anything can be done, just trying to do some of the reserach before I spend any money and figured someone here would know. I looked at a couple of 97 and up FL and FX springers last night a local guy has for sale, stem is same the diameter, some are offset others are not. I'm most concerned about the lower bearing and cup fitting properly, as by other posts I read that could be a problem. Anyone have any opinions on the possible bearing issues or what type of offset I should look for on a late model?

I also agree on not butchering stock parts. As I said I inherited this bike so I am missing the original sheet metal, seat, forks, swingarm, bars, etc. The frame looks pretty unmolested except for a few extra holes and the kit for the late model tank mounts, which I think I am going to cut off and weld some originals back on. Any real concerns with running original gas tanks mounts.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”