springer noise

Information on forks/springers/shocks
plattd
Inactive member
Bikes: 54 FL

springer noise

Post by plattd »

Back again for some shared wisdom. This panchop has a springer front end, not sure what make; it's my first bike with spring forks, so I'm unfamiliar with what to expect. When I get up in the rpm range, say around 3000, I hear a ringing noise that at first I thought was coming from the rocker covers, but then as I was feeling around I put my gloved hand over the top of the springs and the noise damped right down. So is this the standard song of a spring fork, or is there some adjustment/lube thing I need to attend to? Thanks.

David
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: springer noise

Post by NightShift »

Dear Plattd.

Most springers have two rods that stick through the springs with nuts on top, and they pre load the springs so they don't shake or sing.

See what tightening them does.

Nightshift.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Put the bike up on a jack with the weight off of the wheel, then check for broken or loose inner springs. Springers don't normally back much noise other than an ocassional squeek when needing greesed.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

David,
its hard to diagnose your problem without seeing the fork you have on the bike. A factory springer has 8 springs, 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. The inner springs should have a bow or arc in them which keeps them pressed against the inside of the outer springs and tight on the rod to prevent them from making noise. A lot of the replacement springs installed on choppers (usually chrome) are straight, the inner springs will be loose and rattle. Are your inner springs loose?, can you spin them or slide them up and down a little inside the outer spring?

just a thought, post a picture.....

mike
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

At 3k rpm a lot of things could be rattling up there. I've had headlight collars rattle so bad it could drive you crazy. Same with a loose horn bracket.
plattd
Inactive member
Bikes: 54 FL

Post by plattd »

Can't be sure, but I think these are Paughco's 9inch wide forks. They still sing a bit after tightening. Maybe I'll try another few flats on the nuts. The inner springs on top are straight, not much room for bend as they are only slightly bigger around than the rod. The lower inner springs are larger diameter and maybe bowed a bit. They are also slightly rusty. Any recommendations on lubing these springs?
David
NightShift

Post by NightShift »

Paughco's are sturdy, but you gotta massage them like a, well lets not go there.

One trick with a custom is to punch big thick washers out of hard rubber like a truck mudflap and make dampeners out of them. One on each spring rod aughta be enough.

NightShift
And oh yeah, if that Paughco springer doesnt have fender tabs, dont' try to put a fender on it.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

My extended stock springer with only single lower springs(because of added rake) used to vibrate so bad at about 60 mph I could hear it even with a helmet and fairly loud pipes. I stopped it by sliding an upper shock rubber bushing from a car down the rod which happened to be a snug fit inside the coils.
NightShift

Post by NightShift »

We should call rubber bumpers "snubbers'.

Ain't my invention, I swear.

NightShift

Return to “Forks/Shocks”