Springer Springs ?

Information on forks/springers/shocks
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Springer Springs ?

Post by rodklop »

I'm re-building the spring fork on my 48 Pan. Putting in upper and lower buffer springs. The lower buffer springs I have are 46059-39..listed as side car only, in the parts book. I don't have a side car and mostly ride solo, and have the Monroe shock. Would using the heavier buffer spring affect the fork in a negative way?....Thanks for any input...Rod
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Springer Springs ?

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Rod,
Spring fork geometry is a science, everything is engineered to work as a system. The heavier springs should not impact it in a negative way, the affect will only be to shorten and quicken the recoil oscillation, similar to clamping a ride control at about half its travel.

The things that will create the most negative impact are a wheel that is out of balance and rocker bushings that are worn out. If you take care of both those items during your rebuild you should be OK as long as that Monroe is dampening like it is supposed to. make sure all the bushings on the shock are good as well as the rocker bushings. The other key to a good, safe, ride is the steering dampener, set it for a slight drag, tighten it as you increase speed.

I've posted it before, if you have ever experienced high speed wobble, you'll understand.

mike
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Re: Springer Springs ?

Post by rodklop »

Mike...Thanks for the input on the fork. I know what you're saying about the high speed wobble. Been there and done that......Rod

Return to “Forks/Shocks”