leaking fork oil

Information on forks/springers/shocks
bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

leaking fork oil

Post by bbhf »

Hope someone can tell me what to use to stop a leaking damper tube: i put stock length tubes back on my panhead and when i put everything back together one tube leaks oil from the damper tube slot in the slider: i cleaned all parts well, parts are in good used condition, put new seals in and put the two gaskets on the damper tube: put 7oz of fork oil in and it leaks: when i first pulled the units out they had what looked like sealer all around the bottom of the slider slot area: the inside of the sliders look very nice and clean and not scratched: i am guessing the guy who installed the tubes used a sealer: it was done at a bike shop: it did not leak before: the indexing flats on the tube do not stick out the bottom of the slider so it is not that issue: what if i was to put a little gasket sealer around the stud as it protrudes through the slider?? thanks, bbhf
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: leaking fork oil

Post by fourthgear »

Are you talking about leaking from the bottom of the slider where the stud protudes from it ? If so there should be a detailed fix in the knowledge base. There are better than OEM type gaskets or seals you can get from places like JP Cycle & such( I think mine were black in color & thicker ). You may need to add extra on the inside to shim it high enough to keep from bottoming out that nut on the sloted portion of that stud & that sloted washer or what ever it offically called can also be replaced if its too sloppy. Some still goober it up also . Some one else should speak up here with photo's ,its been gone over before.
VT

Post by VT »

Buy Vol. 2 and learn about your problem (cured) and a little more about the repop parts for Pans. You can find it on our site in the signature below. $65. gets it to your house in 2-9 days and a small donation to this site. Thanking you in advance for your consideration. We remain your trusted servant. :|
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

here is one of the larger threads that cover leaking, banging and such.

Hydra forks not working correctly

john
bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

Post by bbhf »

Thanks to all: i have both books and use them all the time: i went back out to the shop today and tore down the leaker and put two new gaskets in: i also used a flat washer under the flexloc nut: this washer was there when i took the fork apart: i did not use it when i assembled it: i added oil and pumped the tube many times and as of tonight it is NOT leaking: maybe the flats on the stud did not seat in the slot or maybe the flat washer was able to help draw down an even bite: again thanks to all the advice: this is truly a great site: bbhf

Return to “Forks/Shocks”