Timken Bearings

Information on forks/springers/shocks
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Timken Bearings

Post by panz4ever »

I am putting a 49EL back together. I need a source for the Timkem roller bearings. I have one and it is marked #07100. The later style that is sold thru most aftermarket places will not allow for the fork panels to be aligned properly. My bearing cups are fine, just need the Timken bearings.

Thx in advance.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Any NAPA store can take your number and order them. Usually have them overnight.

Jack
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

True. The 07100 is the (cone) bearing and 07196 (cup) is the race. The numbers are spec. and used by several manufacturers, Timken, Federal, and China bearing makers. Any bearing shop will also have them. Call first. The '49-59 (07100) have 16 rollers. The (L4464) '60-up bearings have 19 rollers and their own race number.
panster

RE bearing cups..

Post by panster »

Mark Blankenship is now selling his excellent repros on ebay.
J.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

About time!. I lent V-Twin a set of '49-59 cups to make repops in Taiwan back in June or July. They sent their set over there. Mine are going to be used to check the cups when they land . All thanks to John White, who made Tedd Delring dragout their old blueprints and verify that their '49-59 cups were made from the same blueprints that their '60-up cups were made from. They fought him on it before too! They couldn't admit they were wrong until we proved it. The V-Twin cups won't be on the market for awhile.
What a strange history, that the '49-59 cups have not been made by any mfgr. since Harley quit making them 56 years ago. 2004 was the first year I know of, since 1959, that someone has made and cad plated in any sort of production operation. I guess all the '60 up cups sold over all these years were used on choppers! "Making" the 60-up cups work with the '49 fork covers is wrong. I did it, before I woke up to the cup problem, and I could tell Mark B. hadn't sold many before I called him. He said, "Well,... I have a box of them over there somewhere...guess I'd have to get x amount of dollars each for them...then there'll be shipping too.."
His steering cups are 0.100" shorter on the stem, so they'll fit repop (sometimes shallow-bored headstocks) frames as well as OEM. A design change discussed and agreed upon by Dale Walksler and Mark at a swap meet years ago, that the '49 cups should be re-manufactured with shorter stems. Thanks for the update :!:
M. Blankenship (304) 697-1445 9-5 (EST) Leave a message.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Vintage Twin, well I took a chance and saw that V-Twin #12-0334 are the bearings listed for my 49 pan. They arrived this week. They are/look exactly like the original (48300-49). Fit was good. They are made in China. It will still be some time before I get the bike up and running, but hopefully they will stand up to the rigors of the road.

Anyone out there ordered the races? Mine were fine so I didn't need to find out. Just curious to see if the craftmanship is up to specs.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yep. bearings they have. Races too. Just no '49-59 cups. The Peer® China bearings are okay IMO.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”