Long springers

Information on forks/springers/shocks
hammerhead47

Long springers

Post by hammerhead47 »

Okay I ordered my frame from SVC and I also ordered the 12 inch over glide. I love the look of the long springer but with everyone saying how it kinda wags around out there in front of you I chickened out. I have had stock length springers(new) and long glides. My question is this: Is the long springer say 12 over really that bad? Even a new one? I just want to know from those who have ridden them.
Thanks
J Krell
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: Long springers

Post by DuoDave »

I've never ridden with an extended springer, but way back I built a BSA Lightning chop which had either 10" or 12" over springers. (can't remember which). I never got around to finishing it, but those forks weighed a ton. Took three men and a dog to lift them. It's not hard to see why they would flop around.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

hammerhead,
Like Duo Dave , I did a lot of hacking around when I was a teen, (Cotten and Vintage twin would cringe at the priceless vintage bikes I cut up).But what the hell did I know..I was a kid., anyway....most of the choppers then had 10'' over twisted cross section front ends, absolutely beautiful to look at but a real bouncy pig to ride.You could feel and sometimes see the flexing.
Right now I got a 10'' over wide glide with a tweek bar 5'' below the bottom tree.That soaks up all the flex I need it to. Personally I feel the extra length gives me more stability in a straight line, leanings no problem either, the only time I feel the weight is slow speed feet down stuff...have fun building your beast! Haggis
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

Had a +10" girder on a custom I built last year. Looked beautiful! handled very heavy, the pucker factor increased above 60MPH on a log scale. (my buttcheeks put a crease in the seat!) I was happy to sell that one, no matter how good it looked.
Zup
Inactive member

Post by Zup »

I've got a 56 Pan, original rigid frame (raked) running a 12 over springer with a 21" Avon. Flex?? You bet yer ass!! But the flexing smoothes out the ride considerably. Straight line riding is great... like a bullet.
Low speed?? Still not a problem! I can slow down & do a 180 with the feet ON the pegs . ( Just got to use a some of the other lane to do it) Granted... I'll never win a slow race while weaving thru cones! Who cares? That's not what it's for... Ridin' is the mission. Mission Accomplished!! It's true I have thought about cutting it down, but it hasn't happened yet. (over 15 yrs) And don't expect to anytime soon.

Ride Safe Ride Free
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

My buddy & I, just finished his S&S Pan with a 30" over
w/Swedish Springer & has a 230 rear tire & a suicide/jockey shift. It's in the Picture Gallery. Yes, this Pan is a Blast!!
This is his longest chopper, & it was a fun build!!
Now he has some miles on it, & rides it like any of his other choppers.
I think it turned out fine...
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

Just some info for everyone.
In the next month or so, start looking for our new line of Springer forks to be available. The sizes I'll be offering are: besides our stock length, +2 & +4, I'll now have +8, 12, 16 and +20". They will be available first in black and later this year in chrome.
Hope this makes someone happy.

Kurt

http://www.45partsdepot.com
info@45partsdepot.com
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

My 2 cents on 12" Springers:

It can be done, it has been done, and it is very workable. Many people ride them around and make the riding style adjustments and are very happy with them. IMO they do look sweet. That said, everything everyone else says about flex and flop, etc. is true too. There is a reason Cotten calls them Scuds. So it is really a matter of whether you want it, and whether you are willing and able to make the riding style adjustments that you would need to make.
My two cents on 20" springers (as long as someone brought it up):

WTF?!?! Someone would have to have seen too many movies.
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

Well, I look at it this way. I get several requests each month about longer Springers, why not make them. I usually refer them to Paughco, who makes up to a +21", but most people are looking for the original style for a period piece like ours. Personally, a 20" is a little scary, but people want them, so I'll offer them.
Still, the Swedish guys are up to +28", not a Springer, but scheeezzzz, that's long!
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

45:

Wasn't knocking you, man. Sorry if you took it that way.
gopherdude2

Post by gopherdude2 »

I;ve had my 49 old school pan since 1972 and it has alwayse had a 14" over springer. You have to get use to some bounce but it ain't bad. Mine is home made from old Ford radius rods welded to the lower tree on 3" stubs left from the cut off. I didn't make it but I have had to redo it because of rust (rust preventative wasn't available back then) which split parts of the rods lenght wise. I found that no one would touch it because of legal stuff so I rewelded and re straightened it myself, all I need done now is to rechrome it. I beleive the radius rods work better than the girder style and produce less bounce, I also don't use the inner springs so I get a softer rocker at the wheel for less flex bounce. Anyway been ridin it for years and love it - wouldn't change for the world, that would be like me taking my leg off for a wooden peg. Point is try it if you don't like it take it off and sell it. The more radical the better for me.
65panryder
Inactive member

Post by 65panryder »

I rode my dads 65 hard tail 14 over springer to high school
and lived to tell about it and if anybody is going to screw up is was a high school kid . bike rode great for what it was but you could pogo over to the other white line in a bumpy curve at to high a speed. other than that it tracked fine and it was a narrow after market that looked a little weak but held up fine as long I didn't try to wheelie it then it always bent the front axle till I made one from a very expensive grade 8 bolt.
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

since we're on the subject of long front ends, does anyone know if girder front ends are available any where? used to have a twelve over girder on a 51. that thing was awsome. it road like a dream once i got used to it, as it was my first step into chopperdom.
dmcff

Post by dmcff »

I have run a 20 over california cycle works girder since 1974 I cut the downtubes and inserted 2 1/2 inch machined plugs bent the backbone until the whole frame was parallel to the ground. I have 6 trips Chicago to LA. (yeah its a rigid and I was a lot younger) on the scoot. I regularly take it to sturgis and run Needles Iron Mt, Custer all the twisties. just make sure everything is straight run a 21 go for it No Problem.

Yeah I seen a company named GAMBLER still making real nice girders google it .
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

dmcff, thanks i've looked everywhere and haven't seen any. hoping to start a project soon.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”