Fork leg question

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Kuda
Bikes: *

Fork leg question

Post by Kuda »

Prol'y a dumb question, but how interchangeable are right and left drum lower legs? In other words, is it possible to adapt right side drum lowers to a left side drum? Reason I'm asking is that I've got a line on some rebuilt right side drum lowers that have been shaved (except drum mount) and the price is right. Don't want to hose up my originals... Thanks,

-Kuda
'49 FL
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Fork leg question

Post by 57pan »

I'm confused (but that's not unusual). The brake drum is on the left so how can you have some right lowers with the brake drum mount??

Anyway, the problem that you're going to run into by trying to use the same lower on both sides is mounting the front axle. The left lower has a smaller dia. hole for the axle than the right, and the right axle mount is split so that you can clamp that end of the axle. I suppose, if you have access to a machine shop, you could make it work by either boring out the axle hole on one leg if you're using two lefts or by making a sleeve adapter if you are using two rights.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Wow, after reading what I wrote again even *I'm* confused...

Let me try it again: I currently have a left side drum set up. I've got a line on set of lower legs for a right side brake drum, with the fender mounts shaved off. Since I don't run a front fender on this one, I was wondering if it was possible to adapt the right side drum leg set to run a left side drum. Like, say, flipping the legs around or something like that. Probably not, but I've seen some really strange things work before...

-Kuda
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

My 69 had right side drum brakes ,stock ( 69-71 I think ). All you would have to do is get the proper axle and spacers, hub cap ect. to make it work. They changed to the right side brake in front to even out the torquing when applying both brakes , thats what I was told but , there may have been other reasons.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”