Fork disassembly

Information on forks/springers/shocks
xnoahx

Fork disassembly

Post by xnoahx »

I want to swap out my lower legs to some that have the fender mounts on them and i was wondering if there is much involved with the swap. Can I just slide the old ones off and put the new ones on. I know there will be some work involved and I will need to replace the fork oil. Would I have to mess with the whole assebly inside? I have experience with older dirt bike forks but that was mostly replacing the seals.
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Re: Fork disassembly

Post by Skip »

what kind of front end do you have
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

standard wide glide forks
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Still need a little more detail. What year are your current tubes and sliders? If I recall correctly, the parts from '49 up until sometime in the 70's were interchangeable. So if you have vintage parts then you just need to get the appropriate replacement slider to go along with them. There are some things I'd do while you have the forks apart.

* Replace the seals and felts
* Inspect the dampeners. Those springs have a way of getting munched.
* Put new bushings in the replacement sliders if they were used. Either way, they'll probably need to be honed to match your fork tubes.

If you are interested in selling the old sliders that had the fender mounts milled off, let me know. I like using vintage parts on my chops. I'd hate to take good parts and mill the fender mounts off these days.

-Craig

Return to “Forks/Shocks”