Fork cups/bearings

Information on forks/springers/shocks
gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

Fork cups/bearings

Post by gpp3442 »

Gentleman,
Do I need to press the bottom fork bearings on to the fork stem (fl-hydra-glide 57)? Also any way to get the old one off?,put a torch and heat? Still trying to get the cups off too... any tricks or do I continue swinging the sledge hammer. Thanks for any suggestions.
dj

Re: Fork cups/bearings

Post by dj »

GPP
To get the cups off, try using a 7/16" or so...bar long enough to pound them out from the other end on the inside. They should come out easier that way. I wouldn't mess with them unless they really needed it...which they must, if you're considering changing them. New cups with races installed in them can be beat back into the frame with a hammer and wood block.
In order to remove the bottom fork bearing, take a chisel and break the thin roller retainer and remove it...and the rollers, leaving only the race. Put the triple tree in a vise then heat the race up and beat it off with a chisel and hammer. Wear safety glasses because the race chips easily when it's heated.
When I installed my new bearing, I beat it on with a hammer using a large open end wrench on top of the bearing, being very careful to only strike force on the top of the inside race, all the way down and never to strike the bearing cage. A really clean stem helps especially at the bottom.
Don't forget to use a bottom dust cover. Whoever put the last bearing on mine....did.

Hope this helps.
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

DJ
Thanks
I couldn't wait to get some ideas to help this job along and yours certainly are sound. Have to wait a bit now though snowed pretty good here last night(CT) and the kids are already dressed and ready to get out there.
GP
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

DJ,
Thanks bro, did it exactly as you stated and everything went together perfectly. ;)
Gpp3442
dj

Post by dj »

Great!

Glad to hear it!

Return to “Forks/Shocks”