Leaky fork tubes

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Leaky fork tubes

Post by Hauula Pan »

I just finished pouring oil into a brand new set of fork tubes I got from V-Twin and am now watching it slowly seep out the bottom. I figure its probably a waste of time taking them back to the shop I bought them through, as it will just cost him money for shipping and the replacements they would send would most likely leak too. So anyone got a good recomendation for getting new seals? The ones I got years ago when I replaced the seals in my old front end were thin paper and leaked like a sieve. I think there are some better ones available now but don't know who makes them. Appreciate any suggestions.
VPH-D

Re: Leaky fork tubes

Post by VPH-D »

Are you sure the damper tube slotted tips are registered in the bottom of the fork leg?
The thin paper gaskets work ok and can be used with gasket sealer. Clean up the mess, try again, and let the legs sit for a day or so before filling.
VPH-D
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

You also should check to see if the dampener stud extends past flush with the slider, if it does you will need a few extra paper washers to pull it in a bit so the nut can compress the washers tightly before it bottoms out on the flats....Mike
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Took them apart & found 2 very thin paper seals on end of stud and 2 on bottom of bushing. I added one more thicker seal to stud & one more under bushing along with a dab of sealant and put them back together. Refilled them and so far no leaks. It is just a shame that you have to take a brand new set of tubes & sliders apart and fix them. They shouldn't have leaked in the first place.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”