Adjustable triple trees

Information on forks/springers/shocks
keys55
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Adjustable triple trees

Post by keys55 »

How much difference in ride is there without having these and having a sidecar. I think the rake is 3 degrees difference. Was wondering about control at low and higher speeds.
1950 bobber

Re: Adjustable triple trees

Post by 1950 bobber »

I could be mistaken...but, I think adjustable trees extend the rake an additional 5 degrees.
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber)
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Post by Rammy »

I have the adjustable tree on my 51, I rode it extended out for a few years w/out the side car . The bike rode well , That is the only way I ever rode it. I liked the stretched look I Guss. This summer I though I would adjust it back and try it , the bike has alot better response in the corners like quicker steering especially at low speeds . I don`t know what the rake difference is but the front end will go out about 4``longer. I have the side car but never tryed it. I think the extra rake is for safer steering with the side car.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Non-adjustable trees will work marginally with a hack if the dampener is tightened severely, like with a Stillson wrench. Avoiding a wobble that will make the handlebars rip out of your hands and slap the tanks until you crash is dependent upon your upper body strength and determination.
I found swingarm solo riding with an adjustable extended to be immediately hazardous.

....Cotten
keys55
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by keys55 »

First time out with one[quite a few years ago] I leaned into the corner on a curve. NOT a pleasant memory. I learned an important fact that day about riding with a sidecar attached. Seems like the lessons I remember best are the ones when I screw up. 51 and still learning.
SFMike
Inactive member
Bikes: 68 Bonneville
48 EL
65 FLH
03 Road Glide
A few others over the years.

Post by SFMike »

I used to ride a '67 with a steel hack.
Solo with the neck stretched was very wierd and not something I liked.
Also the smaller sidecar sprocket made quite a negative difference riding one up.
Riding with the hack, forks not extended is high on the list of real bad ideas.
Man, I miss that rig. I had an all star hubs setup so's I had a spare. Next best thing to a station wagon.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”