Adjustable bottom. non-adj. top tree

Information on forks/springers/shocks
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Adjustable bottom. non-adj. top tree

Post by fourthgear »

I have a good one for all of you , maybe it should go on the general board but maybe not . I have a ( what I thought was a complete)Adj. fork assembly on my Pan . I was reading threads on the Hydra-glide sight and they were talking about the connector board on the tree and I decided to dry assemble my front end to see if mine fit to see if it set up like any of what they were talking about. Well I have an adj. bottom and I see now I have a nonadj. top tree . When I disassembled it a couple of years ago( yes , a total rebuild ,frame up,money and moving to the sun shine state slowed this project) it did look funny coming apart. I set it up last night and I don't have any experience with this type of front end and I can tell it did not line up right. Some one was riding it this way, wow. Any thoughts people? It seems to me I have two ways to go and its all $$$$$$$. The #s indicate the top tree is 48 ??? and the bottom is 50.this can't be normal!

Mike
Cotten

Re: Adjustable forks

Post by Cotten »

The -48 and -50 are merely blueprint years.

And apparently you have normal caps for the fork tubes that insert into the solo top clamp. Your choices are to either reassemble it as a non-adjustable, or find an adjustable top and adjustable caps and studbolts.

If you don't have a hack, I'd just put her back together with the bottom in the 'solo' position.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Re: Adjustable forks

Post by fourthgear »

Cotton
Whats really bad about some one using the mismatched set up is the front of the top tree is about a quarter inch off of the bearing jam nut and as I said some one was riding it this way and it may well not have much support up there any way , but it may work for the uninformed but not ME, it ain't right. I tried to post photos but couldn't post , The paths I typed in just didn't work to post . I know I'm screwing up something.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”