1949 fork shorter than later models?

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Larry49EL

1949 fork shorter than later models?

Post by Larry49EL »

Does anyone know if the 1949 hydra has another fork as all later models. Is this fork shorter? It looks that way looking at pictures in Bruce Palmer 's book.
shaker

Re: 1949 fork shorter than later models?

Post by shaker »

i had a 61 fl , one time now i have a 49fl, the legs both look the same to me. the 49's are black that might make them look shorter.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

They also have a sand-cast texture instead of die-cast or polished (as is the brake plate as well). Each side has a -49 part number rolled into it close to the top.
Larry49EL

Post by Larry49EL »

49 EL --- This may be in another thread, but what forks can I use to update to a disc brake set up? Will a newer front end set up work? Can I use the existing triple tree?

Thanks! Great site.
headhog
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by headhog »

I love the 1949 hydra-glides. Its probably one of the hardest to build for points. The sliders are sand cast and have a 1948 part number. HEADHOG
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Larry49EL,

My pan (a '49FL in a '58-'64 frame) came with a LHS single disk and "banana" caliper on it. I believe this is from a 70s or early 80s shovel.
I'm not sure of the diameter of the fork tubes, but I believe I still have the standard '58 period triple tree.
You would need to check on this yourself of course.
If I was doing it myself again I would probably try and come up with something a bit more sophisticated and use an aftermarket caliper, but the current one doesn't do too badly, and is a million miles ahead of the drum setup.

Cheers,

Simon
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Larry
I believe 41mm is the tube dia. and will work in all early Hydro glides FL's . You can get an early Disc. set up it should work as long as std tube length has not been changed . you can also get after market leg sets to set yourself up for Disc. brakes too $$$$$$$$$
Larry49EL

Post by Larry49EL »

Thanks for the input. To refine my question...if I take apart the current for (41mm tube) can I put new (88 - ?) model lower legs on what I think are the stock tubes? And then I could use a modern front brake, wheel etc. Also, since I am running a 21" narrow, I could use a newer WG front fender.
I guess since I am new to the "old iron" scene, I am not even sure if the new forks and old forks use the same internals (my guss is not, but can the old internals work in new sliders or new internals with the old tubes...)??

Anyone care to input to help?

Thanks Larry
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
larry....the guts in the tubes went from 49-76? or around the mid 70'S.so I dont think the lowers will fit the tubes because the dampner set up is diff. but you can put late model wide glide tubes and lowers into the early tripple trees (41mm). but the length of the later tubes are longer, depending on the model taken off of. GMA sells a kit so you can keep your lower legs. but you will need a diff. hub, or you can have a adaptor made to fit the star hub. and then have the bracket(s) made to fit what ever you need to make a disk brake set up happen.
I have been toying with the idea, but the set up (stock) I have right now, all the parts are just to nice to screw with right now.but i'm collecting up the parts,now to find a left hand 3/4 bore master cyl, the hunt goes on
mbskeam

Return to “Forks/Shocks”