Glide Fork Problem Discussion

Information on forks/springers/shocks
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Glide Fork Problem Discussion

Post by VintageTwin »

------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the proper length for hydraglide spring and tubes? How much spring should stick out the top of the tubes before installing the caps?

My '63 has 20.5" tubes with 20.25" springs. When assembled, the springs must me compressed almost 2" inches to get the caps on which seems odd to me. Without adding oil, it takes considerable effort to compress this setup and it "clunks" something awful on the bumps.

I have a set of dual disk legs here that have 22" tubes with the same 20.25" springs. Caps go on with little effort as they can be started with very minimal compression. Force necessary to compress these legs seems more reasonable. Again this is before adding oil.

Both sets of legs had missing baffles and lower bushings for some reason. (dual disk legs have the 49-77 internals) Back to top
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay Help,
The Glide Fork, Rep. topic takes too long to load, so lets keep the problem here. I can measure a fork spring and a tube. You'll need to find out if you still have the 46045-49 spacer still in there. It would have fallen out when you took the tube out of the slider. You don't want that spacer anymore. All you're putting in the leg now is the baffle assembly and two paper washers and the 46121-48 damper tube lower bushing. I don't know anything except non-adjustable '49-66. Nothing about disc brakes. There should be an inch or so of spring stick up, but nothing you couldn't muscle back down into the tube and put a cap on. The tube and spring measurements may help. I can do that this morning since I have to take a leg apart one more time.
Smac
Inactive member

Post by Smac »

That would be great! Checked and I don't have the spacers so its just a matter of selecting the right tubes for the 20.25" springs. The 22" tube seem like they'll provide a better ride, but thats a guess. Thought I'd also mention that ride height and overall length isn't a concern. Just want 'em to work!

On another note, are the baffle valves that screw into the tube caps optional? Both of my front ends did not have them. Seems like they have to be there to me...

I'd really like to get this together and on the road today if possible.

Thanks!
Sean
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

My stock replica hard chromed tubes are 20-1/2" long, (not counting the plug/cap when measuring). You need the baffles I would think, to contain compression pressure for dampening, and to keep hydraulic fluid from coming out of the vented hex plugs on top of the tree.
The used springs I have measure 19-1/2" and the other 20". Good luck. 8)
VPH-D

Hydra Glide forks

Post by VPH-D »

OEM glide springs are 19 7/8 " long, and the tubes are 20 1/2 " long. I just replaced the springs in my 51 with a set of OEM springs. I believe these are still available from H-D and would be preferable to the V-Twin units.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”