Modified springer trail

Information on forks/springers/shocks
txpan49
Inactive member

Modified springer trail

Post by txpan49 »

Guys,
I picked up a 49FL with an old springer front end that has been lengthened 8" over (30" overall). The 50 wishbone has been raked but I do not know how much. Its tough to steer at low speed but tracks straight at higher speeds. Using the tape measure process I calculate the trail to be 7". So, I have some questions,

1. Can I change the trail to shorten it by changing to longer rockers?

2. If I lower the forks by having a shop cut them down to 4" over will that affect the trail? I can't figure that one out logically.

Thanks,

Txpan
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Modified springer trail

Post by caschnd1 »

Txpan,

There are a number of good rake & trail calculators available online. Here is one:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think for this calculator, you'll need to include the length of your rockers in the triple tree "offset" number.

You might find some more good information at:
http://flyingsnail.com/Sprung/sprungcontent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the short answers to your questions:

1) Yes, you can achieve a shorter trail number by using longer rockers with a springer.

2) Yes, cutting down the length of the fork will shorten the trail.

Hope the links are helpful.

-Craig
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Let me add one thing about my answer to question #2...

If you were to cut down the fork it lowers the front of the frame and changes the effective rake angle of the neck in relationship to level ground (results in a smaller rake angle). This is why you get a smaller trail number by cutting down the forks. Now, if you also adjust your neck angle so it remains the same, cutting down the forks would have no effect.

Hope that doesn't just make it all more confusing...
txpan49
Inactive member

Post by txpan49 »

Thanks that makes perfect sense. I want to retain the original HD Springer and I think this do the trick.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”