Springer on a 1953

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Springer on a 1953

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

I'm going to install a stock early style springer on my 53 and was wondering if anybody out there is running this set up. I've read the posts in the knowledge base and talked to Kurt at 45 parts depot. but I would like to hear any ideas from guys who are running this front end with a 21" tire. Thanks, Ed
VPH-D

Re: Springer on a 1953

Post by VPH-D »

I ran a springer on my 51 for two years.
Observations:

Poor ride in comparison to Glide forks when hitting bumps
Don't expect much out of the springer brake
Great looks!

VPH-D
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Fast53, If you increase rake, the less it will function, but you can remove the inner springs to compensate somewhat. The front brake will never have the power that the rear brake has but often the front brakes dont work well because the radius of the lining doesn't match the drum for full contact, a/o the lining compound is too hard for good friction.
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Thanks Guys, I have put the rake back to 30 deg. Kurt at 45 parts depot has suggested a offset w/ 2" over for the length, I'm not doubting him, I was hoping to here from some you running this set up and how your bikes handled and what you were running. I running a spool front wheel and have a Fab Kevin dual caliper rear brake set up. I'm still keeping the bike bobbed just took some of the rake out. Thanks for the input, Ed
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Ed, I had an early springer on my 49 somebody extended back when with radius rods, 45 deg.. I put a late model springer disk brake on it. It stopped well but would bottom out the suspension real quick if applied to hard. Way better than dragin' my feet! Mike
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Panacea, Could your disc brake springer have been "diveing" because of the angle in which the caliper anchor was attached to the fork, causeing the torque to pull it down? Just wondered ,seen it happen on custom set-ups.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

108, actually I think being raked out to 45 degrees and no shock absorber had more to do with the suspension bottoming out under heavy braking. Mike
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

Hello Ed
I have a 48 offset 4"over with a 19" wheel on my 56 stock frame When I first got it, it pulled real hard to the left I took it to a guy who specialized in doing frames and front ends He set it up in a jig and showed me were someone or thing bent the ridged fork I had him tear it down and cold bend it back. He put it back together and I really like it. I am not running the shock so some times you can feel it tend to be uneven, like when you go up a driveway slow at an angle one side compresses more than the other and the wheel feel like it's laying over a little. The guys are right the front break is there for looks only don't count on them But I'm told by a guy who re-lines brake shoes that if I bring him the shoes and the drum he will arc the radius of the shoes to match that drum and the breaks should work a lot better I'm think of tearing it down in a few weeks just to see if it will work
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

03Roadking, Thanks for the reply, I looked at a late knuck with a stock frame and a stock length inline springer running a 21" wheel yesterday. Owner say's it's worked fine for years and this is what I'm looking to do, only problem I see now is these things have went haywire on e-bay. I guess by running the 19" wheel with a 4 over front end it keeps the bottom of your frame about where you want it ? Thanks, Ed
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

03roadking, check out Vintage Brake, they did my 51 front drum and made a world of difference, they turn the drum, re-line the shoes with a better friction material then arc the shoes to fit the drum. Mike

Return to “Forks/Shocks”