Stock front end?

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Stock front end?

Post by Panacea »

I'm going to disassemble my Hydra-glide front end and would like to verify the stock length to see if I need shorter tubes. My length from the center of the axle to the top of the cap is 30".I do have 2" over slider covers so I'm thinking the tubes are also 2" over. The bike does sit level though so anything is possible. Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

panacea
JP's shows the stock length of the tubes as 20 1/2 " long . I don't know if that helps unless you take it apart and measure just the tubes them self's.
Mine are 28 5/8" from center of axle to the very top of the crown of the fork cap , stock every thing including the springs.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

fourthgear, Thanks for checking, looks like mine are 2" over. Mike
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

I can confirm with panacea, mine measure the same as his. Just making sure you are comfortable with it all the way...good luck as I had to also tweek mine a bit, one was bend about .030". Good time to check yours for straight when apart....partshunt
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Sorry pancea I meant mine measure the same as fourthgear, 28 5/8 "
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Thanks partshunt,.. Mike
1950Bobber

Hydraglide forks

Post by 1950Bobber »

To confirm....my REPLICA Hydra-Glide forks assembled are 28 5/8th" from axle ctr to top of fork tube plug. BUT.....

I seem to remember original early Hydra-Glide FORK TUBES ONLY measured 18+" where later tubes were 20+ and longer depending on how much later you want to go.

I've ordered tubes (stainless steel) from Frank's Forking...I found them to be GREAT quality ad he will give you any length you want! I bet a call to Frank's might get you the original lenths you might want to know about! just a suggestion.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

Just curious guys, Are these measurements with the bike on the ground and its weight compressing the fork a bit or is it jacked up with the forks totally extended?
I ask because in a previous post I mentioned I replaced the stock forks with a stock one from a 97' to get the disc brakes. I have noticed that when my fuel level in the tank is lower, I have a fuel starvation problem on the highway. However it putts around town fine on reserve, but on the highway, I have to fill up early. I have 5 gallon tanks on it with petcock towards the rear. I thought it was the petcock and rebuilt and then replaced it several times. I do not recall having this problem when the bike still had the original drum brake forks of stock length. I have been wanting to measure the fork length and compare it to the original forks as I suspect that the forks may be shorter. Therefore the tank may not be tilted back as much, starving the engine of fuel. The problem is my original forks are crumpled from the accident and will not extend out, so I cannot get a stock measurement.
Thank you,
Doug
1950Bobber

HydraGlide forks

Post by 1950Bobber »

Doug....

I'm measuring mine OFF THE BIKE, NO weight copmpression.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber" 8)
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

Thanks Jim, I jacked the front end off the ground and measured my forks this evening and they were 28.5" to 28.75" depending where I measured on the cap. I was hoping it was an inch or two shorter as that may have explained my fuel flow problem. It would have also explained why I dented my fender with my oil cooler. When I installed the new forks, I mounted the cooler in the same spot that I had before the wreck. But this time the first good bump I hit the fender kissed the cooler. I was hoping shorter forks woudl have explained that too. At the time I reckoned that the new forks had more travel than the old forks. Oh well I fixed the fender and re-mounted the oil cooler. I still may look into buying a set of longer fork tubes.
Doug
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

duoglide58
You may want to see if you are not getting vapor lock ( over heating of fuel in line ) I have insulation around mine to prevent this ( see link below ). , Are you sure all your gas tank nipples are not restricted, the cross connect from the left tank to the right and the vent on the tops of the tanks. I have seen where one is pinched or crimped and not letting enough fuel to pass between tanks and same with the top vent ,not letting the tanks vent to each other . Also are you sure the right tank vented cap is working , when you are at high way speed or starting to have problems ,just reach over and loosen the right cap a little( not enough to remove it ) and see if it helps . You did say you were in an accident , there may be damage you did not catch.

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... p?pos=-890
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

I have pulled over when it is starving of fuel and checked the fuel level and both sides seem equalized. However, I guess I could try loosening the cap next time.

But I remembered today that years ago when I rebuilt the bike before the wreck, I put in some Showa style forks with drum brake lowers. I recall that it was cheaper to buy the new forks than try to rebuild the old HydraGlide fork tubes and replace the bushing etc in the lowers. So I guess there still is a possibility that I had longer forks on the bike previously.
Doug

Return to “Forks/Shocks”