Aftermarket Springer with timken

Information on forks/springers/shocks
dontsink
Bikes: 1957 FL, Vespa PX200

Aftermarket Springer with timken

Post by dontsink »

Hi Gents,

On my 57FL i have the original hydra-fork with the oem bearing cups and timken bearings. Is it possible to switch to an inline aftermarket springer fork without changing the cups in the steering head and use the same timkens as with the hydra fork - with all the other stuff used on the springer fork as there is ie the adustable bearing race at the top. And if yes, what do i need and where can i get the required parts?

Many thanks,
yours,
Thomas
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Aftermarket Springer with timken

Post by RUBONE »

Easily possible. all the parts are available from various vendors. Chuck at Kick-Start lists the pieces.
Keep in mind that a stock springer is about 2inches shorter than a Hydra-Glide fork so if you want the same height you need a longer one. Why an inline and not offset as used on Panheads?
dontsink
Bikes: 1957 FL, Vespa PX200

Post by dontsink »

Thank you rubone, i thought that the inline one where used - my mistake. Was the offset used through all of the pan-years? Any disadvantages from the inline? I think the clearance from the fender is better. Or is the offset better for handling. If it sits 2" deeper isn´t it too deep for ground clearance? Or is it just a matter of apearance? Do you have an webpage from the kick-start - or maybe a store here in europe which lists the needed parts.

Thank you mate,
Thomas
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The offset was used with the last Knuckle and Early Pan with 30 degree rake frames. It increased the trail which helped eliminate head shake at speed. 45s didn't have that problem and retained inline types through the end of springers on '57 Servi-Cars. On a rigid frame the length isn't as much of an issue as it is on swingarm types. Kick-start doesn't have a web page, sorry. Not sure who in Europe might carry such parts.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”