Adjustable Triple Trees

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Tod

Adjustable Triple Trees

Post by Tod »

I Picked this up and have some questions for someone who may know. I believe that this is the early lower that used 2 bolts instead of one long one with the slot (no slot, 2 holes). why are there no holes drilled and taped for Tin housing, fork leg tubes or Headlight bracket?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodrow
Bikes: 49 panhead
Amen Savior roller

Re: Adjustable Triple Trees

Post by woodrow »

You might have an after market lower. Mine has a part number 45707-50 in the same place your numbers are. Those two holes you are talking about the one in the rear is where your long bolt goes through and the front holes are where your position tabs go. OEM 45710-50. Or go to jp cycles and it's part number 230-054. Message me and I can show you some pictures. I have my adjustable trees apart right now.
Tod

Post by Tod »

Thanks for replying. I am pretty sure that it is a stock early lower tree. what I am really trying to figure out is why holes were not drilled and tapped for the headlight bracket (2 holes), Electrical terminal plate that hides behind the headlight (which is connected by a small screw to each, upper & lower Tree (1 hole lower section triple tree, 1 hole upper section triple tree) ), and the 2 cover sliders over the upper fork tubes (2 holes each side, 4 total where those tabs or ears are). Tin behind the headlight and 2 pieces (left & Right) that wrap around and enclose the back of the triple trees hiding the terminal plate and wiring (1 hole on each end) That is a total of 9 holes
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

H-D wouldn't have sent out any trees without holes drilled. Every bike they equipped with a sidecar and adjustable trees had all the tins on them, so the holes had to be there from the beginning. Yours is likely a repop of some sort. Besides the fact that the early two bolt bracket is the same as the later one with a slot in it. The difference lies in the portion with the stem attached.
Tod

Post by Tod »

Hey Rubone. Thanks for info. I understand what your saying, but I was thinking that maybe this was extra parts stash from HD that never got put on a bike. I also have the upper which also is missin a few holes 8) will take a pic and post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

An old repro with a factory casting number? Never happened.

They sent out partially finished and flawed junk all the time - spent many hours combing through dealer's shelves.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

In support of what Kitabel said/I can vouch for wrong factory Parts or blind holes with no thread.Im going to the Bowlingball Years/I had a guy bring in a 1976 Sportster/Kick-olny & he kissed a oldsmobile & flew over the cage.Well I had it at my shop back then WHEN I HAD A WORKING SHOP!.Anyway I use to deal with a guy named LEO!--IM sure hundreds of you guys know him or atleast the name of the shop (Deals ON WHEELS)-Painted over a Rigid Pan on a 50ft. truck trailer .There were 3-trailers & Everything was for friends & Leos personal stuff!.So I went in with a full list of OEM parts NEEDED!.The girl said Leos on the phone & will be right out!--Well we went outside to the Shortster trailer OEM stuff!--I got a PERFECT fitting fender,Spokewheel,Axle single disc set-up with the reservoir.I got the trees as the main going thru the goose had a 5/16-bend!.New forks springs upper/lower I mean the while 9 on this bike!.Then he says Richie is this for you?--I said NO its a customers stuff!--(Give me $900/& you owe me a beer.)GREAT DEAL RIGHT!--Well It came to the point that IM glad I kept the 3risers/One side was drilled the other was not!/& this was a cinchbolt for the upper tubes!./So All in all I had to drill 7-holes to make it all stock again!.When I asked LEO /Whats-up with them OEM parts /you find that truck in the side of a road!/He started Laughfing & said I should of warned you!/Some of the bolts may or may not be there!.--(I was just glad I had wrecked parts to find where this nut gets welded & this hole gets tapped/It saved ALOT of headaches.So I dont put it past HD to PUMP-OUT new parts DURING those dark years of HD!.Just been my exp. on more then one ocasion!---Respectfully----Richie
parts
Bikes: 1955 FLH Harley Davidson and 1945 LE sidecar, 1954 R68 BMW, 1979 HD FXEF.

Post by parts »

Hi Tod, I have also dealt with some questionable Harley/ Repop adjustable triple teee parts recently. I posted here about it back in February. In my case, it was the top plate that was missing various tapped holes. In addition, the three holes for the steering damper ring were in the right place but too small. Also the end holes for the fork caps were not in the correct position vertically. I have attached photos of my top plate . As you can see, mine have the pattern numbers as well, just like yours.
I don't know if mine are original HD or repop. I would think reproduction castings, made using an original part as the pattern, would have the casting numbers on them and would be difficult to tell from the original, although they would be slightly smaller overall, due to shrinkage. I did the machining required to make my plate servicable. Good luck with your project. Tom from Mass.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”