Springer

Information on forks/springers/shocks
restless
Bikes: 1960 FL pan

Springer

Post by restless »

Hi does any one happen to know what springer front end would fit on a 1960 fl duo glide frame.
Thanks Bill
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Springer

Post by RUBONE »

If you are referring to factory H-D springers none of the early types are a good fit. The best (and generally hardest to find) is the later Big Twin offset stem type as it would work with the rake angle of the frame. Any other inline Big Twin or 45 will fit as well with proper parts. Keep in mind that all stock early springers are approximately 2 inches shorter than a stock glide fork. If not using an offset fork that is further compounded by the rake angle of the frame making a very low front end.
Your best option otherwise is a later model factory fork from the late '80s and up. They can be adapted with minimal fuss and are longer. There are a variety of aftermarket types available as well, it all depends on the look you are after.
Robbie
Omarine
Bikes: '49 FL project

Re: Springer

Post by Omarine »

Robbie,

I am using a new repop springer, 2'' over, but it's inline, not offset (which I would have preferred). I heard of the older rakes having tank slap issues with 16" wheels, etc....My frame is stock dimension, 30* neck. Will I notice a big difference in handling because it's inline instead of of offset like they came right before glide forks?

I already went through the stock length vs 2" over issue, and the 2" fixed my low clearance.

I was planning on running an 18" wheel or also a 21" at times, when i want to change up the style...

thanks!
oscar

Return to “Forks/Shocks”