Springer vibration

At about 70 mph my upper springs on my '48 FL springer fork start to vibrate so bad the acorn nuts become a big blur

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Springer vibration

Post by 108 »

At about 70 mph my upper springs on my '48 FL springer fork start to vibrate so bad the acorn nuts become a big blur but the front tire and fender are smooth! I know its engine vibation transfer since it occurs in any gear at the same rpm but do they all do that? I've seen some springers have a brace between the top of the spring rods - will that help? The fork is extend 10" and the frame is raked to set level at 43 degrees at the fork. It has outter springs only. Thanks for any advise.
Rainjester

Re: Springer vibration

Post by Rainjester »

Mine does the same thing. 18" over springer front end. The faster I go, the more it vibrates because that's where all the energy from the road is going, right up into the springs where the acorns (spikes for me) on top of the springs are. The lower forks and wheel will go smooth but all the energy transfers right into the top forks with the springs.
In fact, I just put a couple of pictures up of my chop in the gallery today. Very Happy

jester-
Rainjester

Re: Springer vibration

Post by Rainjester »

I think that is why the factory added a shock absorber, to the new bikes that are intentionally made to try to copy old looks.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”