Inline springer vs. offset

Information on forks/springers/shocks
1950bobber

Inline springer vs. offset

Post by 1950bobber »

Ok guys...I'm thinking on running an OEM springer on my '50 Panhead (adding a Springer for vintage looks mostly and will ride this motorcycle for runs up to 300 miles per day MAX!). The frame is a '49-51 Wishbone. PLEASE chime in with suggestions (and it would help me to learn more if you explain your preference please) on what Springer I should look for: Inline vs. Offset? Thanks, I value greatly your collective knowledge and plan to act on your suggestions! Thanks guys, VERY much.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Inline springer vs. offset

Post by Cotten »

You want an offset.
An inline can be easily be tweaked to an offset.

...Cotten
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Cotten ...
Thank you for your valued reply. Why do I need an offset? Does it have anything to do with rake or trail? Why did HD go from an inline to an offset...I never read any history on this...although I do remember hearing that the later '40's HD motorcycles got into some higher speed wobbles but I thought that was a factor of the frame head angle of 28 degrees so HD went to the 29 degree frame neck angle. I'd love to hear an explanation of Offset vs. Inline springer just for my education....any help there?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The Factory went through some headstock changes in '46 or so, please refer to Palmer's for specifics.
If you run an inline, I believe there is a chance of the fender smacking the pipe or hack mounts or something. The offset accomodated the last version of the headstock (through '84, I believe). One of my '49s has an offset, and its fine, except for the usual drawbacks of a springer in general. A shock really helps!
Offsets command exorbitant prices, which is silly when it only takes a few minutes in a press to align the stem to an offset handlebar.
Your real puzzle is the bearings. I do not know offhand which Timken # will fit the lower shoulder on the stem. I bored mine.

...Cotten
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Thanks Cotten....I know Pans ran the Springer only on the 48 so I really didn't expect too much in the way of Springer knowledge here on this site...so your input is very appreciated...thanks again.
mcjim
Inactive member

Post by mcjim »

The offset springer is a "de-raked" inlne;it will shorten and raise your bike a bit(don't know actual number)It was done to compensate for the increase in neck rake on late '46 and up frames.If you have ground clearance problem get a offset,it will help a little;I run a offset on my '56 that has a 35 degree rake and with a 21 wheel it sits level ,its pretty f..... low.The neck bearings and cups for the big twin springers are all the same and will work in any Pan frame,if you want to run Timkens you're on your own.The best thing about the offset is it is the last of the springers ,so in theory the least wore out ,yeah right.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

'49s also came with springers for sidehacks, as the adjustable rake HydraGlide fork hadn't been produced yet.
My previous post must be confused; if the offset is de-raked, then an offset would have fender interference when installed on earlier headstocks.
Probably why so many folks took off their fenders.
I'll be wrong again, so watch me closely.

...Cotten
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Again...Thanks Cotten and mcjim for the info on the Springer...Inline vs Offset! Your input gives me some insight into deciding which way to go on the change I'm considering. Appreciated!

Return to “Forks/Shocks”