Front-End

Information on forks/springers/shocks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Front-End

Post by 58flh »

Hey guys hope all are taking advantage of the weather!.--Anyway on Front ends!--Wide-glide,,,,---I have had some of the ol-clunker when fully extended!-& this really got loud when jumping off curbs at your favorite watering-hole.I had spoke to JOHN on this VIA-PM, & I did go over the frontend 5yrs. back & it was GOOD for 2yrs.!--Then it started SLOWLY as they do until it is pronounced enuff to drive you nuts!---Well Over the 4-Months I had the machine all apart --My wife found a set of Progressive springs for it that I got some 16yrs. back.So I took it all apart & It was CLEAN!-(thanks JOHN!).I replaced everything Checked Valves ,discs & overall all seals replaced as normal.--1-thing I did do that I never tried on anybike is I cut dynatrol slip pads & placed them where they clunk at bottom & did not use Paper or anything else!.I cleaned the Baffles & mesh in the baffles & It was all clean.OK Those slip pads are something I use in my trade as a BONDBREAKER & EXPANSION JOINT SPACER!.Its made for EXTREME PRESSURES & FREZZING to 130 F!.I cut & doubled-up on them on each side,They measure .032 in thickness!.I filled the Forks with straight-up ATF!--(6oz. as reqired from memory.)Wated a few then bounced the hell out of the front-end!.It started to stiffen-up!GREAT.I go for a ride & pull up a sidewalk & drop off sorta quick so it gets a good pounding!--She slammed -but not that bad!--I tried pushing it off a curb. & got a slight pound upon EXTENSION!--I added 3 more ozs. of ATF,& NOW shes QUIET as before when I spoke to JOHN & I tried ATF the first time.Well I been riding everywhere when its not pouring & Shes working GREAT!---JUST wanted to let you guys know what I did for clunk & am very pleased with the results!.---(Don't know a thing about progressive springs!,,but it seems more controlling in up/down motion.Thanks to JOHN for the ATF trick,I always used PJ-1,30 with sweller added.The ATF was an INSTANT DIFFERENCE with a WORN GLIDE!,NOW its like new!---RESPECTFULLY----RICHIE

Return to “Forks/Shocks”