Springers on a '57 Pan ?

Information on forks/springers/shocks
kevhdkent
Bikes: 1951 FL Hydraglide

Springers on a '57 Pan ?

Post by kevhdkent »

Hi to all. As a new member I'd like to draw on your collective knowlwdge for help :D .

First to introduce myself, I live on the Romney Marsh in Kent, England, UK. I have a '51 panhead stroked to 96", in a standard '57 straightleg rigid frame. I've run her for about 7 years now, and it's time for an overhaul. I rebuilt the motor 18 months ago, so now the cosmetic.

MY QUESTION : What length springers would suit the '57 frame ? (I'm running 16" rims, front & back)

Have been offered a set of WL type units from V Twin Engineering. They have 19" from the lower triple to the spindle, and I'm concerned this will reduce ground clearance to an unusable degree.

Anyone know if '48 pan springers were similar in length to the WL units ? And/or if there are any dramatic changes in the geometry between the straight leg and cranked down tube Panhead frames ?

Well, enough for now.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Springers on a '57 Pan ?

Post by 1950Panhead »

You can use a 46,47,48 offset springer, 48 to 57 have 30 degree neck.
Don't use any WL parts.
Jerry
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Kev!

Although I believe the lengths are similar, other considerations should make you shy away from WL assemblies.

All Pan frames had the same rake, and it requires an "offset" Big Twin springfork.
The fender will hit otherwise, I am told.

No matter what, a 'springer' will compromise the usefullness of the motor's extra power.

Good luck!

....Cotten

...Cotten
58bob
Bikes: 56 Pan Bobber
2008 Ducati Monster S4r

Post by 58bob »

Kev,
I have a standard length inline springer on a '56, so same deal as you are looking at really.
And I also have 16's both ends. As I dont have running boards I use forward mounted pegs, these are the only things that touch down while cornering, and while they are folding dont forget your heel sits about 3 to 4" below that so thats what touches first, to much lean and it will pull your foot off the peg. Maybe boards are higher, I dont know, but at least your foot sits flat! Also keep in mind the quality of the ride, on the highway where its generally smooth no problem, but around my place local roads are not the best so your shoulders get a good work out from all the spring action going on, especially a series of continuous rolls or waves in the pavement, with no damper the springs, well, just act like springs!
But I do like the look of them, and if you only run 4" seat springs like me ( its a bobber) I didnt see the point of going to a plush riding front end, only to be hit up the rear 1 second later.
I think if I was to do it over again i would go for a 2" over length, or do what I'm going to do now, raise the pegs on new brackets, cheers.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Kev,
All H-D tubular springers as standard equipment on WL and Big Twin are the same length. The only variations were on '40-'41 WLA, ELC, And XA which were all 2-3/8ths inches overstock for rough terrain use. They are rare, however they are reproduced.
Any stock springer is approximately 2" shorter than a stock Hydra-glide fork, which reduces ground clearance.
Many springer pieces interchange, and many parts were used on various models. As an example WLCs used Big Twin type rockers and wheel/brake asembly. Consequently the front leg is also the same as BT. So are all the springs and ball joints.
45s used a 7/8" stem and BT used a 1". Parts are available to adapt the former to BT use.
Any use of modern type brakes, including drum types as well as disc, can compromise the integrity of a stock springer. They are not designed for the torque loads generated.
Robbie
kevhdkent
Bikes: 1951 FL Hydraglide

Post by kevhdkent »

Thanks for the info, yours looks like the most usefull.
Only one question. You state you have "standard length" springers, and you would choose +2" given the choise. But what is "standard length" ? either a measument overall (top to spindle) or from bottom triple to spindle would be really helpfull when assessing available units.
regards kev
58bob wrote:Kev,
I have a standard length inline springer on a '56, so same deal as you are looking at really.
And I also have 16's both ends. As I dont have running boards I use forward mounted pegs, these are the only things that touch down while cornering, and while they are folding dont forget your heel sits about 3 to 4" below that so thats what touches first, to much lean and it will pull your foot off the peg. Maybe boards are higher, I dont know, but at least your foot sits flat! Also keep in mind the quality of the ride, on the highway where its generally smooth no problem, but around my place local roads are not the best so your shoulders get a good work out from all the spring action going on, especially a series of continuous rolls or waves in the pavement, with no damper the springs, well, just act like springs!
But I do like the look of them, and if you only run 4" seat springs like me ( its a bobber) I didnt see the point of going to a plush riding front end, only to be hit up the rear 1 second later.
I think if I was to do it over again i would go for a 2" over length, or do what I'm going to do now, raise the pegs on new brackets, cheers.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

A 46,47,48 offset springer is 25.5" from handlebar to rocker center
Jerry

Return to “Forks/Shocks”